Title: Moon Called
Author: Patricia Briggs
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Series: Mercy Thompson #1
Number of pages: 388
Publisher: PenguinSource: Library
Werewolves can be dangerous if you get in their way, but they'll leave you alone if you are careful. They are very good at hiding their natures from the human population, but I'm not human. I know them when I meet them, and they know me, too. Mercy Thompson's sexy next-door neighbor is a werewolf.She's tinkering with a VW bus at her mechanic shop that happens to belong to a vampire. But then, Mercy Thompson is not exactly normal herself ... and her connection to the world of things that go bump in the night is about to get her into a whole lot of trouble. (goodreads)
Moon Called is one of the best shape shifter Urban Fantasy books out there. It has a little of everything: awesome world building, mystery, action and the possibility of romance. This is one book where the blurb really doesn't do the story being told justice.
Things I loved:
Mercy~She is everything an Urban Fantasy should be:
- Kick Butt (she's not afraid to spill a little blood)
- Not afraid to tell an alpha or two off
- Independent, but not afraid have others help her when needed
- In the middle of a great triangle
Adam~He is everything an Alpha should be:
- Swoon worthy
- Needs saving by Mercy a lot
- Has a little bit of an ego
World Building~I loved the world created because:
- Was woven into the story being told instead of being the story
- The politics of the paranormal world were not dumped on the reader all at once
- Created evil villains and wonderful alphas.
- Made me wonder what would happen next.
- I loved how each was important to the mystery at hand.
- Stefan was wonderful as the mysterious vampire
- Loved Adams daughter being included in the story and not just as a means to get Mercy/Adam together
- Sam. So many great things to say about him...I have a feeling his story is just getting started.
What I learned from this book: 2006 was a bad year to attempt to give up reading romances. Why did I not start this series earlier????