Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Guest Post with Nadia Lee, author of The Last Slayer




 Please help me welcome author of The Last Slayer, Nadia Lee to A Buckeye Girl Reads! She's here to talk about what happens when you lose yourself in writing. :) 


Pain and Suffering, Not the Kind You Want

Writing's all about pain and suffering.  If you're doing it right, your characters should suffer horribly before the book ends.  (This is why I don't like depressing books with tragic endings; I don't want to feel completely bleak after I'm done.)

Ideally the writer shouldn't feel pain and suffering too much...though occasionally we do.  Sitting in front of a computer and typing for hours a day is probably not the best way to keep yourself in shape.  And believe me, I have paid the price for neglecting my body.

It happened right after my agent and I discussed revisions for The Last Slayer (this was before the book sold).  About a week later I woke up with the most horrific neck and back pain, which made it impossible for me to sit still for any amount of time. The worst thing about the neck pain was that it also gave me a horrible headache.  I'd always underestimated the importance of a pain-free body for optimal brain function up to then.  When all you're thinking is, "I hurt everywhere!" it's hard to consider how best to work out the scene that's currently on your screen.

It took about four weeks of intensive physical therapy before I could turn my head left and right without significant pain.  Imagine all the productivity that was lost while I was going back and forth between the clinic and my apartment, not to mention the constant headaches!

Afterward, I started to make time for physical therapy sessions and stretching sessions.  Of course, now that I have a six-month-old baby it's harder, but I do what I can to stay as pain-free as possible.

How about you?  How do you stay pain-free?  Any tips?  :)

The Last Slayer

Ashera del Cid is a talented demon hunter, but when she kills a demigod's pet dragon, the hunter becomes the hunted.  Her only potential ally is Ramiel, a sexy-as-hell demon. Now the two must work together to battle dragons and demigods...and the chemistry crackling between them.

Ramiel has his own reasons for offering Ashera his protection.  He knows her true identity and the real reason the demigods want her dead. What he can't predict is how she'll react when she discovers he knew who she was all along...

Ashera is shocked to discover that she is the only daughter of the last slayer. To claim her destiny, she and Ramiel must join forces to face down danger and outwit their enemies.  Only then will she be able to truly accept her legacy...

Where to buy The Last Slayer


Where to Find Nadia Lee