Friday, December 2, 2011

Review: Angel of Darkness by Cynthia Eden



Title: Angel of Darkness
Author: Cynthia Eden 
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Series: Fallen #1 
Publisher: Brava 
Number of Pages:  305
Source: Advanced review copy from publisher











  As an angel of death, Keenan’s job is to collect the souls on his list. He’s carried out his duty for two thousand years and never faltered once. Until he meets Nicole St. James. When the moment of death comes, Keenan hesitates, and instead of taking Nicole, Keenan touches the vampire who’s attacking her. Cast out of heaven for disobedience, Keenan plummets to earth. Six months later, he finally manages to track Nicole to a bar in Mexico. He’s stunned to discover that the woman he remembers has undergone a dramatic change—she’s become a vampire. And when he realizes that she’s the target of all manner of enemies—other vampires, demons, even shifters—he’ll do whatever it takes to protect her, even if all hell breaks loose.

Angel of Darkness  was full of non stop action and I found it hard to put down. However, it also is one of those books that even after reading it I'm still not quite sure about.  There were a lot of good aspects that I really liked, but other things that drove me crazy. This was the first book I've read by this author, and I really wish I had read the Night Watch series by her first. I think if I had read that book I'd have a better understanding of the world created by the author and how things work in it.

Nicole St. James was supposed to die, but the Angel of Death who was assigned to her, Keenan took another life instead of hers.  Because of that act, he broke the rules and was sent to earth as a fallen angel. What I liked about the book was that there was a lot of action. Keenan falls, and is shocked that the women he fell for isn't human any more. However, that doesn't stop him from still having the hots for her. Nicole isn't immediately won over by him, and the two are drawn together by trying to stop the bad guys who just won't Nicole go.

Nicole and Keenan were both the type of hero/heroine that I usually love. They are tough, independent and work well together as a team.  However I had a  really hard time getting into them as a couple. I'm not sure if it's because Nicole was questioning his motives for helping until the last 100 pages or so, or if it's because every now and then the point of view would switch to the people who after Nicole and Keenan just as I was getting into what was happening them. Once Nicole trusted Keenan though, I started warming up to her and I liked how both of them had each others backs no matter what came their way. 

Even though I had trouble with the main characters, the story was so good that I kept reading to find out how Keenan and Nicole would get out of whatever trouble they were in.  I loved how I thought I had the bad guys all figured out until the very end when there were some nice twists to the story. One of the secondary characters, Sam who is also a Fallen Angel really worked his way into my heart. I found myself liking him almost more then Keenan and I really hope that his story is the next one in the series.

Other reviews: 
Vampire Book Club (4 stars)
Ramblings of a Chaotic Mind (4 Stars)
All Things Urban Fantasy (4 Stars)
Fiction Vixen (A rating)


Curran Crush Meter: Low 
Barrons Hero Hotness Meter: Medium 
Martini Sigh Meter: Medium 
Sizzle Meter: Medium 
Finn Sidekick Meter: High