Friday, November 25, 2011

Review: Something Secret Comes This Way by Sierra Dean



Title: Something Secret Comes This Way 
Author: Sierra Dan 
Genre: Urban Fantasy 
Series: Secret McQueen #1 
Publisher: Samhain Publishing 
Source: Bought
Number of pages: n/a E Book











Some secrets are dangerous. This Secret is deadly.For Secret McQueen, her life feels like the punch line for a terrible joke. Abandoned at birth by her werewolf mother, hired as a teen by the vampire council of New York City to kill rogues, Secret is a part of both worlds, but belongs to neither. At twenty-two, she has carved out as close to a normal life as a bounty hunter can.When an enemy from her past returns with her death on his mind, she is forced to call on every ounce of her mixed heritage to save herself-and everyone else in the city she calls home. As if the fate of the world wasn't enough to deal with, there's Lucas Rain, King of the East Coast werewolves, who seems to believe he and Secret are fated to be together. Too bad Secret also feels a connection with Desmond, Lucas's second-in-command...Warning: This book contains a sarcastic, kick-ass bounty hunter; a metaphysical love triangle with two sexy werewolves; a demanding vampire council; and a spicy seasoning of sex and violence.  (goodreads.com)



This was such a fun, fun read!! I bought this book on a whim and am so glad I did. I can't remember the last time I had such fun with a love triangle! Everything in this book just worked for me. The heroine was spunky, heroes were sigh-worthy and the villains were cringe-worthy.

Secret McQueen is half vampire and half werewolf. She does her best to keep her half blood a secret from everyone-only four people know about it. Keeping it a secret isn't easy, but it's a must because there is no telling what will happen if either side found out that she has mixed blood. Secret is more at home with her vampire side, but she isn't happy about that either. She is a bounty hunter-she goes after the rogue vampires.  Secret is good at her job, and her name is feared in the vampire community.

She has worked hard to ignore her werewolf side until she meets Lucas Rain, and his second in command Desmond.  They confuse her because she doesn't want to be attracted to either of them, but is. Let me just say, this is one great triangle! I kept changing my mind over who I liked better Lucas or Desmond. The scenes with both of them were just HOT. I wish we had seen a bit more of Lucas, but every time he made an appearance I was like Secret-I just couldn't get enough of him. Desmond was just as much fun as Lucas, and if I had to choose a favorite in this triangle it would be him. :sigh: :drool: :sigh: Both of these guys were great because they were tough on the outside, yet loved how vulnerable they were around Secret. There is a moment when they thought she had died in a fight and when they found out she was ok afterwards was just full of all kinds of goodness.

As much as I loved Desmond and Lucas, the other characters in the book were just as fun as they were. There is Keaty-the only human who knows about Secret and helped her find her way in the world, Harlan the vampire who is her liaison with the vampire council,  Calliope, the mysterious oracle, and Sig the head of the vampire council. Each of these characters brought a lot to the story, and it's rare that I like all of the secondary characters in the book. Even the villains in this book were great to cheer against.

This sounds like one big gushfest, but I can't help it. It's been a long time since I've fallen in love with a series so fast. I am glad that I waited to read this though, because the ending was full of anguish. It was just well, a doozy and left me wanting more.

P.S.  A Big Thank You to Tasha over at  Truth, Beauty Freedom & Books for my new header!

Martini Sigh Meter: High 
Rhiannon Kick Ass Heroine Meter: High
Barrons Hero Hotness Meter: High 
Curran Crush Meter: High 
Finn Sidekick Meter: High 
Sizzle Meter: High 
Heat Level: High