Monday, May 23, 2011

Review: Awaken the Highland Warrior by Anita Clenney


Title: Awaken The Highland Warrior
Author: Anita Clenney 
Genre: Paranormal Romance/Time Travel
Series: Connor Clan #1
Publisher: Sourcebooks
Number of Pages: 426
Source: Sent to me by the publisher to read





 

A man from another time... Faelan is from an ancient clan of Scottish Highland warriors, charged with shielding humanity from demonic forces. Betrayed and locked in a time vault, he has been sleeping for nearly two centuries when spunky historian Bree Kirkland inadvertently wakes him. She's more fearsome than the demon trying to kill him, and if he's not careful, she'll uncover the secrets his clan has bled and died to protect...
Could be the treasure she's been seeking all her life...When Bree inherits an old treasure map, she discovers a warrior buried in her backyard. But the warrior isn't dead. Bree shocks Faelan with her modern dress and her boldness, and he infuriates Bree every time he tries to protect her.
With demons suddenly on the move, Bree discovers that Faelan's duty as protector is in his blood, and that her part in this fight was destined before she was born. But nothing is ever what it seems...(from goodreads)


I really wanted to fall in love with this book because the premise was so great. I mean, who doesn't love highland warriors and time travelling highland warriors at that? I also have a weakness for heroines who study history and search for treasures.  While I liked both Bree and Faelan there was just something missing for me in this book, and I'm still not entirely sure what it was. The writing was really good, and I liked the world building and all of  the secondary characters. I'm not sure if was the fact that I had read one too many paranormal romances prior to this one, or if it was just the mood I was in while reading.

While I did have trouble reading this one there were a lot of things I liked about it. I enjoyed how it was the guy who did the time traveling and that it was to the present day and not to the past. Bree might've been a little too trusting in the beginning with Faelan, but I loved seeing her help him out with technology. Faelan was such a tough guy, that accepting her help was hard for him to stomach sometimes-it was a nice change from the heroine needing help all the time.


I think one of the things that gave me the most trouble with this book was the enemy..  The bad guy was pointed out pretty early on in the book, and most of Bree & Faelons time was spent looking for him. There just wasn't a lot of action until the end of the book. I think I would have enjoyed it a bit more if I hadn't known or figured out early on who the bad guy was.

I do think though, that this series has potential, and I enjoyed this book enough to want to read the other books coming along in this series.