Wednesday, May 11, 2011

ARC Review: The Legend of Michael by Lisa Renee Jones

  
Title: Legend of Michael 
Author: Lisa Renee Jones
Genre: Sci Fi/Contemporary Romance
Series; Zodiac #1
Publisher: Sourcebooks
Number of pages: 416
Source: Advanced Review Copy
Publication Date: May 1st




 

One of an army of human soldiers injected with alien DNA, Michael is a legend within this new race, split between good and evil. Untamable, he has walked on the dark side and returned to the light. Feared and misunderstood, he leaves everything behind, including the one woman destined to be his mate.
HE IS HER ENEMY…AND HER DESTINY…
Fate leads Michael back to Cassandra Powell, for she holds the key to defending his comrades. With their loyalties divided between duty and the people they love, only together can Cassandra and Michael overcome insurmountable odds to save humanity from the wrath of a madman.
But no ordinary woman can control a creature such as Michael, and only one thing is clear—the world will never be the same…(from goodreads)

 

 I wanted to read The Legend of Micahel because it just sounded different.  Michael is a soldier and he and other soldiers are given this alien dna that turns them into super soldiers, who among other things can come and go with the wind. (I thought that was really cool.) While I liked all the characters, I thought the romance got lost in the world building. The story centers around a special group of elite soldiers who like Michael, were given alien DNA that was found from an alien spacecraft  crash on earth awhile back.  The story starts off taking place in Area 51, which I thought was really cool. Cassandra and Michael are immediately drawn to each other even though they know they shouldn't be together because she is the psychologist assigned to the GTECHs. (the name the soldiers go by.)

The main problem I had was when I would get involved with the romance, the story would jump ahead in time. The Red Dart storyline (something both sides wanted) just lost me. I didn't really care which side had it, and I could see why both sides wanted it and felt like neither side were as evil as I think we were supposed to believe they were. 

Even though I didn't really care for this storyline, I really think this series has potential. I also think this books romance just got lost in the world building. At some point I'll give this book another try-it's just for now I didn't have the patience this book needed given to it.

Curran Crush Meter: Low
Barrons Hero Hotness Meter: Medium 
Ethan/Merit Sizzle Meter: Low
Finn Sidekick Meter: Medium (I really liked Caleb.)