Thursday, December 23, 2010

Review: The Love Goddess' Cooking School by Melissa Senate


Title: The Love Goddess' Cooking School 
Author: Melissa Senate 
Genre: Chick Lit 
Number of Pages: 352
Publisher:Simon & Schuster/Gallery 
Source: I think it came from the publisher. See below. :) 


 
 



Camilla’s Cucinotta: Italian Cooking Classes. Fresh take-home pastas & sauces daily. Benvenuti! (Welcome!) Holly Maguire’s grandmother Camilla was the Love Goddess of Blue Crab Island, Maine—a Milanese fortune-teller who could predict the right man for you, and whose Italian cooking was rumored to save marriages. Holly has been waiting years for her unlikely fortune: her true love will like sa cordula, an unappetizing old-world delicacy. But Holly can’t make a decent marinara sauce, let alone sa cordula. Maybe that’s why the man she hopes to marry breaks her heart. So when Holly inherits Camilla’s Cucinotta, she’s determined to forget about fortunes and love and become an Italian cooking teacher worthy of her grandmother’s legacy. But Holly’s four students are seeking much more than how to make Camilla’s chicken alla Milanese. Simon, a single father, hopes to cook his way back into his daughter’s heart. Juliet, Holly’s childhood friend, hides a painful secret. Tamara, a serial dater, can’t find the love she longs for. And twelve-year-old Mia thinks learning to cook will stop her dad, Liam, from marrying his phony lasagna-queen girlfriend.
As the class gathers each week, adding Camilla’s essential ingredients of wishes and memories in every pot and pan, unexpected friendships and romances are formed—and tested. Especially when Holly falls hard for Liam . . . and learns a thing or two about finding her own recipe for happiness.
 


The Love Goddess' Cooking School by Melissa Senate came unexpectedly in the mail. I totally forgot that I had signed up to review it on Book Ning. At least that's where I think I signed up to read it-my memory is awful sometimes.

The first half of this book totally captivated me and I couldn't put it down. When I picked it up again I realized I was 200 pages in and realized Holly had only been on one date with her love interest of the story. I only had around 150 pages left and started getting annoyed that half the book was introducing the characters. For some reason I couldn't let that go and I had a really hard time getting into the rest of the story. I don't know why I let this little thing get to me, because it was an otherwise sweet romance. I liked how Holly had her faults, but was working on getting through them with the help of her students. The students were wonderful-each one had their own set of problems and helped each other get through them. One of my favorite characters was Mia, a 12 year old. She had spunk and really helped me get through the second half of the book.

While this book was pretty predictable and wasn't right for me, if you are in the mood for a sweet chick lit book to read then I really recommend this one. It has strong characters and is a fast read. I'm still not sure why I had so much trouble with it.