Monday, November 29, 2010

Review: Never Tempt Danger by Denise Robbins


Title: Never Tempt Danger
Author: Denise Robbins
Genre: Romantic Suspense
Publisher: L & L Dreamspell 
Number of Pages: 260







 
Never Tempt Danger by Denise Robbins is such a cute, fast read. It's perfect for reading under a warm blanket with a cup of hot chocolate. Or maybe not, as your hot chocolate will go cold once you dive into this romantic suspense novel.

It's no secret that I usually have problems with Romantic Suspense novels, but honestly this book was fun. Maureen "Gilly" Gillman is having dinner with her boyfriend, Jimmy the owner of the company she works for NanoRobotics -he's the only guy she's ever dated that has accepted her unusual gift of being able to read minds. Before she can say yes, she gets these sudden flashes of images and before she can comprehend them he's dead, and she's on the run from the people who tried to kill him.

Special agent Lucas Danger is assigned to find Gilly and the military robot she was working on at the time she went on the run. Lucas should have no trouble finding her as he knows her better then anyone else-they were in a serious relationship together when they were younger.  The relationship ended because Gilly hadn't trusted him enough to tell him her secret ability the whole time they were together. Gilly thinks he left her because of the gift itself, and when Lucas finally finds her he has a hard time convincing her that the lying was the reason he left. Once the two are together-they have to find out who killed Gilly's fiancee and other members of her team who keep turning out dead, before Gilly becomes their next victim.


This is one of the few romantic suspense books that has kept me guessing to the end about who the evil villain was. I loved the banter between Gilly and Danger. They had me laughing and shaking my head at them. Gilly was a great heroine, and I liked how she was smart and tough, and most of all-was normal and didn't have any horrible past to escape from like you find so often in contemporary romances. What I liked about Danger was that he tried really hard to overcome his past insecurities as he tried to win Gilly back. What I also liked about this book was while it dealt with a subject matter I normally find confusing-science, the robotics part of it was explained in such a way that I felt like I was a robotics expert like Gilly by the end of the book instead of feeling lost when those parts of the book were mentioned.

The few problems I had to do with this book had to do with the beginning. While Gillys gift was talked about, that part of the storyline seemed to disappear for a couple of chapters, only to return again. For that reason-I'd say this was more in the romantic suspense genre then the paranormal romance one, but in the end it worked.  The other problem I had was Gilly's name. It's trivial but Danger kept calling her Maureen then suddenly seemed to switch to calling her Gilly. I'm not sure why it gave me trouble in the beginning-but it did. There was only other tiny problem I had-Gilly knows all the people that Lucas works for as a Special Agent, and for the longest time I couldn't figure out if she had once worked as an Agent or not. However, those small problems aside, I really enjoyed the book and look forward to read more by Denise Robbins. This is perfect when you are in the mood for something light and fun to read. Stop by on Thursday December 2nd when Denise stops by to talk about the book. I'll have a copy of this book to give away!


Curran Crush Meter:
Low (I have trouble with Romantic  Suspense Heroes. they are just too nice!)
Sigh Meter: 
Medium
Rhiannon Kick Ass Heroine Meter:
High
Ethan/Merit Sizzle Meter: 
Medium low (This book was more about the action then the sizzle, though it was there!)