Friday, September 3, 2010

Review: Wolf Signs by VIvian Arend Granite Lake Wolves, Book 1


Title:  Wolf Signs
Author: Vivian Arend
Genre: Paranormal Romance (warning: hot love scenes come along with it!)
Series: Granite Lake Wolves, book 1






 

I want to thank everyone who told me I had to read the Granite Lake Wolves series by Vivian Arend after I said how much I loved Tidal Pool and Whirlpool. This book was such a fun, hot read! What I liked most about it was the humor, and that the heroine wasn't your typical heroine.
I swear the Vivian Arend has the funniest back of the book blurbs out there. They never fail to capture my attention, so I have to share this one:

Talk about getting your signals crossed…  Robyn Maxwell doesn’t care that her brother has to cancel out on their backcountry ski trip. She can do it alone. The fact she’s deaf doesn’t make her survival skills any weaker. The chance to get away from it all and relax in the Yukon wilderness is just what she’s been craving. Meeting wilderness guide Keil at the cabin starts cravings of another kind. Keil’s one hot hunk of ripped, tasty male. Now she has to deal with raging hormones as well as strange questions about wolves and mates and challenges to the death. Keil was trying for a nice reflective retreat before challenging for the Alpha position of his Alaskan pack. He wasn’t planning on meeting the woman destined to be his mate, or finding out she’s not aware she has the genes of a wolf. Between dealing with his accident-prone younger brother, a deaf mate with an attitude and an impending duel to the death, his week—and his bed—is suddenly full. Far from the relaxing getaway any of them had in mind… Warning: Gives a whole new meaning to the phrase “talking with your hands”. Includes dangerous use of sarcasm and hot nookie in a remote wilderness sauna. (from goodreads)
Robyn was such a great heroine. She was strong, took the news that she was a werewolf with only a few freak outs. I loved that she could hold her own against Keil. I loved her sense of humor, and one of my favorite lines in the book  is by her:   

Robyn stormed up and grabbed the pad of paper. Keil read over her shoulder as she wrote.If you don’t want to be overheard don’t talk where a lip reader can see you.Werewolf? Mate.Challenge. To death.What the HELL are you talking about? She pulled away from the table but stopped to add, Where is my coffee? And it had better be strong.

While Robyn was a great heroine, I just loved Keil. He was a great Alpha.  I thought the knowing Robyn was his mate happened a little too soon, but I really liked his interactions with Robyn and his brother-it showed while he was a tough guy, he also had a little bit of a sensitive side to him. This is one of my favorite sigh moments from him:


“I won’t rush you, and you probably still have a ton of questions but, Robyn, you need to know that I’ll do anything for you. The connection between us is growing stronger, and I’m glad that I’ve found you.”He leaned down and kissed her.

This novella had me laughing all the way through it-until I got to the love scenes, and then I shut up and really wished I had a fan nearby, because they were smokin' hot...but they didn't overtake the whole story.  I can't wait to read the other books in this series. Vivian Arend is quickly becoming an auto buy author for me.

Curran Crush Meter: Medium 
Sigh Meter: Medium 
Barrons Hero Hotness Meter: Medium