Monday, August 2, 2010

ARC Review: Emma and the Vampires by Wayne Josephson



Title: Emma and The Vampires
Author:Wayne Josephson
Genre: Jane Austen Mash Up
Publication date: August 10, 2010
Sent to me to read from Sourcebooks





 


I've enjoyed most of the spin offs of Pride and Prejudice that I've read, so when I was offered an advanced copy of Emma and The Vampires I didn't hesitate to take it.. I'd like to blame the fact that I wasn't able to get through this book on the fact that every time I pictured Emma I saw Gwenyth Paltrow's face and heard her voice (darn hollywood) but it wasn't that-and I also wondered if it was because I've read so many vampire books lately, but that wasn't it either. What did happen was that I discovered that I am more of a Jane Austen purest then I thought I was.



What better place than pale England to hide a secret society of gentlemen vampires?
In this hilarious retelling of Jane Austen's Emma, screenwriter Wayne Josephson casts Mr. Knightley as one of the most handsome and noble of the gentlemen village vampires. Blithely unaware of their presence, Emma, who imagines she has a special gift for matchmaking, attempts to arrange the affairs of her social circle with delightfully disastrous results. But when her dear friend Harriet Smith declares her love for Mr. Knightley, Emma realizes she's the one who wants to stay up all night with him. Fortunately, Mr. Knightley has been hiding a secret deep within his unbeating heart-his (literal) undying love for her...
(From Goodreads.com)
 
I think that fans of the Jane Austen Mash Ups will love this book, and I love that there is still so much interest in Jane Austens books. Thank you to Sourcebooks for sending me an ARC of this book-I'm just sorry I couldn't get into it more.