Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Review: A Web of Lies by Jennifer Estep


Title: Web of Lies
Author: Jennifer Estep
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Series: Elemental Assassins #2








Gin Blanco is one of my favorite heroines. She's a lot like me-except for the killing people part. Gin is sassy blunt, honest, and doesn't take crap from anyone. She's also  patient, loyal and you better not get in her way or hurt those she cares about or you'll regret it later.

A Web of Lies is book two in the Elemental Assassin Series by Jennifer Estep. Gin, is now owner of the Pork Pit restaurant, and has retired from the assassin business. There's just one problem with being retired-it's boring. So when her restaurant is hit by gunfire one day, Gin is actually happy to finally have some action back in her life, and is even more surprised to learn that the gunfire wasn't meant for her. It was meant for one of her customers-Violet Fox. When Gin learns that Violet and her Grandfather are being pushed to sell their store, house and land from Tobias Dawson, a rich coal mining guy who doesn't let anything get in the way of what he wants. Gin doesn't care for bullies like Tobias, so agrees to help protect Violet and her Grandfather from him. the problem with helping Violet and her Grandfather out is that no one believes she's really retired-especially the one person she wants to believe that she's changed her lifestyle- Detective Donovan Caine. Det. Caine is the only honest cop in town, and can't quite believe that he's attracted to an assassin with Gin. As much as she tries to persuade him that things aren't always as simple as they seem, he can't get over everything Gin has done or the fact that he can be attracted to her.

This book has everything you could want in a book-magic, hawt love scenes, kick ass fight scenes, a sassy heroine, a tortured hero, and side characters that you just love.Speaking of side characters-I just loved Owen Grayson. I hope we see more of him! Am I the only one who would love for Finn to have his own book? Last but not least: Detective Coolidge. I don't want to spoil anything, but lets just say my mind went in one direction when her name came up. (If you've read the books, I hope you know what I mean by this.) The problem with a good series is that the next one can't come soon enough. October is much too long too wait for the third book in this series, Venom!
-I almost forgot-I changed my background again. I'm not sold on it, but my dad was passing by the computer at work, and picked this one out. What do you think?

Crush Meter: Low (Sorry Det. Caine!)
Sigh Meter: Low
Sizzle Meter: High
Barrons Hero Hotness Meter: High
Sleep Meter: Low!
Food Meter: High. I may or may not have bought BBQ Pork while reading this book. I also might've googled a recipe for apricot bars and blackberry cobbler.