Sunday, May 16, 2010

Lover Eternal by JR Ward


Title: Lover Eternal
Author: J.R. Ward
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Series: Number 2 in the Black Dagger BrotherHood Series




 
I'll keep this review short and sweet as it seems like everyone is reading this series now that Lover Mine has come out!

Rhage has been cursed by the scribe virgin. He has a dragon inside him that makes him dangerous. He never knows when it will appear. The only thing that calms the dragon is lots of fighting and lots of sex.  Mary Luce is drawn into the world of the brotherhood when she meets a a young 20 something boy, John Matthew,  who can't hear and has no memory of who he is. All he has is a tattoo.  Mary's friend Bella, recognizes the tattoo as one belonging to the brotherhood. Mary and Bella take John to the brotherhood to see if they can help him and is immediately drawn to Rhage. He's afraid of getting close to her because of the unpredictability of the curse, and she's afraid to get close to him because she's sic.


This book was almost a dnf for me. Why? It wasn't Rhage-I loved him and his dragon, it was Mary. I found her to be totally unlikable and wishy washy. In fact, she didn't redeem herself in my eyes until the last 100 pages, and that's a long time to go without liking the heroine. The whole being sick storyline didn't bother me, but it was just so predictable.

I also have a huge problem with the lessers. They don't scare me, and I don't really see them as a threat to the brotherhood. The evil "i'm out to kill vampires because they are vampires" bores me to tears. Maybe if I had read this series before Sherilyn Kenyon's Dark Hunters, or Karen Marie Monings Fever series or Gena Showalters LOFTU series the lessers would be better villains then what they are to me now. They just make me yawn.

I did love how tough Mary came at the end of the book, but why did it have to take sooo long to get there? I also felt like this was one big set up for Z's story-which I can't to read yet, but why must one book always fall in a series for the rest of the books to happen? It sounds like I hated it-but I really didn't. The last 100 pages redeemed this story for me, and I loved Rhage & the other brothers. I almost forgot-I think I have John Matthew all figured out. I can't wait to see if I'm right about him. :)

Not bothering with a meter series as this book annoyed me too much to do one.