Sunday, April 11, 2010

Mini Challenge: Early Favorites

This  mini-challenge is hosted by Literally Speaking. She asks us to tell  about the first book you remember loving. I'm talking, soul-searing, blood-boiling, can't-get-enough-of-it love. This book doesn't have to be from your childhood but it can be.Just write up a quick post telling me what the first book you absolutely loved was and why you loved it. If you want to include some stories about your history with this book, please do!

One of the first books I can remember loving was Mark Twain's Huckleberry Finn. I was in elementary school, and my class was performing the play. I don't think I had a role, but must have talked a lot about it because when I came home from the play, the book was waiting for me on the bed.  I still remember how surprised I was to find it there, and I think that was the first time I realized all the places you could travel to by reading. :) From there I went on to read everything I could get my hands on-but that is the first "real" book I remember reading. Edited to add: I know it was a childrens version of the book, but still it had an effect!

I'm way too tired for this challenge! I almost forgot about a childhood favorite-Nancy Drew has to fall in here somewhere. I really, really loved the Nancy Drew series. I think that was the first time I remember wanting to read all of those books-I devoured them! I was also an Anne of Greene Gables fan, but those didn't come until much later. I so wanted to live on Prince Edward Island!