Tuesday, April 27, 2010

ARC Review of The Darkly Luminous Fight for Persephone Parker by Leanna Renee Hieber

Photobucket
Title: The Darkly Luminous Fight for Persephone Parker
Author: Leanna Renee Hieber
Genre: Paranormal Romance/Historical Romance
Obtained: Advanced Review Copy from the author



Because this blurb (From GoodReads.com) describes the book so perfectly
 
With radiant, snow white skin and hair, Percy Parker was a beacon for Fate. True love had found her, in the tempestuous form of Professor Alexi Rychman. But her mythic destiny was not complete. Accompanying the ghosts with which she alone could converse, new and terrifying omens loomed. A war was coming, a desperate ploy of a spectral host. Victorian London would be overrun. Yet, Percy kept faith. Within the mighty bastion of Athens Academy, alongside The Guard whose magic shielded mortals from the agents of the Underworld, she counted herself among friends. Wreathed in hallowed fire, they would stand together, no matter what dreams or nightmares—may come. 
 
Last fall when I was a fairly new blogger one of the first books I read at the recommendation of another blogger was the book The Strangely Beautiful Tale of Miss Percy Parker by Leanna Renee Hieber. Quite simply, I fell in love with it. It was the first time in a long time that I fell in love with a new author-I just couldn't put the book down, and it made my top 10 list of favorite books of 2009. (My review is here.) When I was offered an Advanced Review Copy of The Darkly Luminous Fight for Persephone Parker, I totally squealed (out loud) and took it.

When I began reading The Darkly Luminous Fight for Persephone Parker I was worried that I would be completely lost with the story because I have the worlds worst memory when it comes to stuff like this. I had nothing to worry about-the storyline of Strangely Beautiful was re-visited in such a way that this could actually be read as a stand alone book. Percy and Alexi are in love with each other as ever, but those around them, and Percy herself are struggling to deal with the suddenness of their relationship. There are so many different layers interwoven into this story. It's much more then just a love story or a battle about good and evil.   friendship, loyalty, trust, love, believing in yourself and the most important one is the fight between good and evil.

Friendship: There is Marianna, Percys best friend at Athens Academy misses her best friend, and while she's happy for her, she's not sure what will happen to their friendship now that Percy is married. Percy herself  is finding out how hard it is to be a good wife and a good friend at the same time.  The Guard that fight along side Alexi are also his closest friends-Rebecca, Jane, Josephine, Michael and Elijah are all now questioning how the guard will change now that Alexi is married.  pg.179 Elijah to Alexi: "Are you going to stare moonbeams at each other all night or is this a meeting?"

Trust- The current guard aren't the only ones who have been chosen to do their job. There have been hundreds before them. When the old guards try to help out the Alexi and his friends in the battle of evil both question the actions of the other.

Love- Percy and Alexi are in love with each other as ever, but those around them, and Percy herself are struggling to deal with the suddenness of their relationship. The guard wonder if maybe Alexi isn't too hard on Percy, and if she's strong enough to handle the dark sides of Alexi. pg. 200 Michael to Alexi: "She's a sweet girl who is overwhelmed by life, who just wants to love and be loved by you."  Percy, pg. 44: "I was lost to him forever.

Belief in yourself: Almost all the characters in the book question, like we do in our own lives what their purpose is, and how they fit in with their group. Percy in particular struggles with finding a place as a wife, friend, and guard member.

Battle of Good and Evil- This is the overall theme in the book ties all the different layers together and without giving anything away makes for an incredible story that we all can relate to.

For a second book in a series, this one answered all the questions I had after finishing the first book, and but left me with a more questions. This book is so much more then a love story-if you are looking for something a bit different, then you have to read this series.  I am looking forward to the novella, A Midwinter's Fantasy coming out in October.  Come back tomorrow for my interview with Leanna Renee Hieber! I really loved this book, and I don't think that my review can do the book justice!

Sigh Meter: Off the charts!
Crush Meter (Formally the Swoon Meter) Super High
Sizzle Meter: High (It's amazing how when well written a few looks can make a sizzle)
Lol Meter: High I loved Elijah's one lines to Alexi like: "Your Royal Eeriness" and "Minister of the Constant Sneer"
Sleep Meter: Low I got 2 hours of sleep once I got going in this book!
TV Meter: Low- I actually turned it off to read! (when you're single and live alone this is a big deal.)