Saturday, March 20, 2010

Saturday TV Time Out-The Torchwood Debate

I thought I would do something a little different on Saturdays and combine my other addiction-TV. This was sparked by a discussion on Twitter on Friday night between Jaymzangel, (A Bitch, A Blog & A Bookshelf) Katiebabs and I about Fox making changes to a British show that we all like-Torchwood. Katiebabs posted this link: http://tinyurl.com/yh8lu8m in which the star of Torchwood, John Barrowman talks about the possibility of his character, which he describes as being an "omnisexual guy-someone who likes guys, women, and aliens" being turned straight for the American TV audience. Like the rest of us, he's not sure what will happen with Torchwood, just that the creator of the show is involved in talks with the Fox network. He said that he hopes the character stays the same-and I have to say I agree with him. As a straight American women who loves this show to distraction, part of the reason I like the show so much is because of the character Captain Jack. One never knows what he'll do next. The gay scenes that were in the show were really well done, and honestly made the show more diverse then anything that's currently on tv.

When the Torchwood mini series, Children of the Earth, aired on BBCAmerica last summer it helped contribute to the most viewers the network had ever seen. There's an old saying: "don't fix what's not broken." There's obviously a built in audience for Torchwood here in the States that's fine with Captain Jacks sexuality, so why does Fox feel the need to water it down for us? Do they really think that we are that sensitive of an audience? That we'll refuse to watch Fox ever again if we see two guys kissing? Please, spare me. I know that the right wing might not be pleased by it, but are they really watching Fox? I don't think so. Why can't they just keep the character as he is and let us decide on if we can handle it or not. I'm tired of being told of what's right or wrong for me by others. Just take a risk-if the ratings bomb, then cancel it. No harm, no foul, right? Or is the American tv auidence not ready for a show like Torchwood?