Thursday, February 4, 2010

You Slay Me Guardian Series #1 by Katie MacAlister

Katie MacAlister is one of those authors that every time I read something by her I go: "I must read more by her." Then I move on to other authors, and forget how fun her books are to read. In the last month or so I've seen a lot of her books reviewed, and it reminded me how much I liked her books, and decided to start the Guardian Series. I'm so glad I did-I have so many great books to catch up on now by her.

You Slay Me tells the story of Aisling Grey, who is hired by her uncle to take a very expensive gold dragon statue to Paris. How hard can it be, right? Upon arriving at the clients home, Aisling discovers her murdered. At the scene is Drake Vireo, who claims to be with Interpol. Before she can blink, he and the statue are gone and the police arrive. She becomes the prime suspect in the murder, and works to get both the statue back and to clear her name. Oh yes, she finds out she's a guardian to the gates of hell and is a dragons mate. 




My Thoughts: 
It took me a chapter or two to get into this book, but once I got going I couldn't stop and read it one day. Aisling is quirky, ditzy and totally lovable as a heroine. Her sidekick is a demon dog named Jim whose one liners made me laugh out loud. Drake is totally mysterious, brooding and sensuous. I still can't believe I enjoyed this book as much as I did. When I read Nice Girls Have Fangs By Molly Harper, I was annoyed with all the humor. It just didn't work for me-but in this book I totally loved the quirky one liners. I also could totally see myself in Aisling, because like her I would make the wrong decision at every turn without meaning and stumble into more trouble in the process. This is a fun, quick read and if you've been wanting to try paranormal romance, but haven't taken the plunge yet, this is a great book to start with.


Sigh Meter: High
Swoon Worthy Meter: High
LOL Meter: High (I can't remember the last time I laughed so much while reading.)
Sidekick Meter: I totally loved Jim, the demon talking dog
Challenges counted toward:











4/25 books read so far for this challenge!