Saturday, January 30, 2010

Challenge Review: Harlequin Presents: Bedded at the Billionaires Convience

I think that I must talk about smutty books at work more then I realize. This Christmas when the girl who had my name for the Christmas Gift Exchange asked a few of the co-workers who she knew I was close to what I liked they all said: Get her a trashy romance novel, like a Harlequin-that will fit into the $15 limit. She got me this book, (and a very nice candle/oil diffuser set) otherwise I don't think I would have picked it up on my own.



Synopsis:
Georgie and Pierre have known each other their whole lives, but haven't really spent much time together because they both disagree with the others lifestyle. When Georgie's parents died, Pierre's parents kind of adopted Georgie into their family. When Pierre's mother Didi's health declines, Georgie tells her a little white lie: that she and Pierre have been dating for the last year or so. In order to make Didi feel better, Georgie goes to London and tells Pierre about the white lie she told, and why she told it. After being convinced this would be best for his mothers health, Pierre goes along with the story. Only one thing happened that the other didn't expect-they start to have actual feelings for one another.

My Thoughts:

Confession: I only started this book because I was too lazy to get the book I'm currently reading from the bedroom. Sad, isn't it? Especially as I live in a one bedroom apartment, so you know it wasn't that far of a walk, but I just wanted something easy to read and grabbed the book closest to me-this was it. I was bothered by this book, and I'm not sure why. I think part of the problem was that the blurb on the back of the book was nothing like the actual storyline. The title while a catchy Harlequin Presents one, really wasn't what the story was about. Why do publishers do this? It's almost as if they needed another book for the Snow, Satin and Seduction series and threw this one in.


This was one of those books were all the two characters did for the entire book was to deny that they had feelings for each other. They fought the entire time. There were a few love scenes, and tender moments, but they were few and far between. The heroine bothered me because she acted like moving to London (The big, bad city) was the worst thing in the world Pierre could have done, because big cities are so over crowded and dangerous. The hero thought she was weird because she didn't want to leave the country and raised chickens.  It just seemed to me like there were so many stereotypes in this book that I could go on forever about them. That being said, this was a fast read, and the writing was good enough to hold my attention, I just felt like I couldn't relate to either character much. This is one of those books you read when you're in the mood for a light read.

You might have noticed that I'm on the hunt for a new layout. I loved the hot chocolate girl, but I am so tired of winter that I needed something different!

This goes toward the following challenges: