Wednesday, December 23, 2009

The Christmas Box by Richard Paul Evans


Sometimes I wonder why I don't read certain books that everyone else loves. Take the Christmas Box by Richard Paul Evans for instance. Why did it take The Christmas Reading Challenge hosted by The True Book Addict to make me read it?? Oh yes, I remember now-I try to stay away from books that get as much hype as this one did, and it was published in the year I worked in a bookstore, and we were so tired of looking at it that any thought of reading it went out the window.

As I'm sure everyone knows by now, this book was written for Richard Paul Evans daughters and not meant to be published. (Why do I have a hard time believing that?) When I sat down to read it, I really didn't expect to love this book as much as I did. I had gotten my copy from the library, and knew I had to own it, so I bought my own copy. :) The Christmas Box tells the story of a young couple who become caretakers to an older women. She teaches them important life lessons-like it's more important to spend time with your family then your business, because before you know it your kids will be all grown up and you'll regret not spending more time with them. It's a heart wrenching tale full of laughter, tears and heart warming moments. I can see why this has become a Christmas favorite. I'm glad this book lived up to it's hype!