Thursday, October 15, 2009

Lit Riff: Take A Chance Challenge #8

This is something a little different I'm doing for the Take A Chance Challenge hosted by Jenners at Find Your Next Book Here. It's something called Lit Riff and it's challenge #8.
The challenge is to: Choose a song and then write a brief story that is inspired by or further explains the lyrics of the song.(inspired by the book Lit Riffs by Matthew Miele.)
I haven't written fiction in a long time, and found that it was hard to stop writing once I started. I really need to write more often. The story is based on one of my favorite songs London Rain by Heather Nova-I've liked it ever since I found it on my sisters Dawson's Creek soundtrack way too many years ago. I am going to try to post a link to the video on youtube, but these things never work for me. Here's a link to the song in case it doesn't work: London Rain by Heather Nova

I’m finally home. Well, what will be home for me from now on. It all happened so fast. I never wanted to famous, it just kind of well happened. One day everything was normal, the next I find out that they guy I’m dating happens to be one of the wealthiest and famous guys in the world. I knew not paying attention to the tabloids would eventually get me into trouble. It’s too late now. Fate has intervened.

We met at the corner coffee shop (So cliché it’s boring, isn’t it?) when I tripped over my shoelace and spilled my very hot latte all over him. Chaos broke out. He was yelling at me, the barista was yelling at me, and people just started freaking out. Before I knew what was happening he grabbed my hand and ran out the back door into the alley. I started rambling: “I’m so sorry. I’m such a klutz. Everyone’s always yelling at me to be more careful. I can pay for your dry cleaning if you want. I have no idea why it got so crazy. It’s like you were famous or something.” He started laughing and couldn’t stop. At the time I couldn’t figure out why, but now I know. He was famous, and he thought it was hilarious that I was the one person in the world who hadn’t heard of him. It wasn’t my fault-I blame it on being so immersed in getting my doctorate that I just shut out the world and focused on research that I lost track of things everybody else knew.

After the press found out we were dating it was like nothing I’ve ever seen before. I’m still not quite sure how they found out-but I’m blaming my brother. We tried going out to dinner and couldn’t even get out of the car. After that all he wanted to do was to go home to London. He said that he needed to breathe, and there was something about the air and rain in London that awakened the soul. The only thing was, he didn’t want to go without me, so here I am getting off the plane in London, and it’s raining, just like he said it would be. (Damn it, I owe him 20 pounds now. I wonder how many dollars that is?) However, I'm beginning to see what he means about London rain now.