Sunday, May 17, 2009

Kiss of Fire

Kiss of Fire by Deborah Cooke

Plot:
Sara Keegan is a top notch Ace accountant who takes over her Aunt Magdas New Age bookstore when she dies. (I say top notch Ace accountant because it's repeated over and over and over again in the book until you want to scream.)
She doesn't believe in anything paranormal until she's saved from a mugging by Quinn Tyrrell-who just happens to be a dragon and shapeshifts right before her eyes. Quinn realizes that Sara is his destiny, and must protect her at all costs.
Subplot: There is a battle going on in the dragon world between the pyr and the slayers. (Good dragons vs. Evil dragons.) The pry control the four elements and fight against the slayers who are all about seeing the human race vanquished.


My Review: While this book took me forever to read and was painfully slow at times, I ended up enjoying it. I think this book was slow because she was creating the beginning of a series. The main problem I had with the book was while I liked the hero, I didn't really like the heroine much. The author kept repeating stupid facts about her to make the reader realize how non into the supernatural she was and how hard it was for her to believe that Quinn was a dragon.
The thing that bothered me most was that the story takes place over a period of three days, and the ending as it was meant to, didn't really conclude anything. It left you wanting more of the story. I'm actually looking forward to reading book two.