Friday, April 12, 2013

Review: Timeless by Teresa J Reasor


Title: Timeless

Author: Teresa J. Reasor 
Genre: Contemporary/Paranormal/Romantic Suspense 
Publisher: 
Number of Pages: 445
Source: My Copy 









Synopsis: 
Archaeology student, Regan Stanhope, lands the chance of a lifetime when she’s chosen to work on a summer dig in Loch Maree, Scotland. The ancient monoliths hidden beneath the loch are the most important discovery since Stonehenge. And for seven hundred years, they have been waiting—for her.

Saturation diver Quinn Douglas is contracted to recover some of the megaliths from the loch’s bottom. The job will breathe life into the struggling salvage business he and his brothers are building. But from the moment he arrives, Quinn is plagued by dreams and feelings from a past he did not live. Or did he?

Regan and Quinn are drawn to each other as they research the monoliths and the reason behind their shared visions. But both sense something mystical at work, delving into their minds, manipulating their emotions. And when they finally discover the monoliths’ extraordinary secret, they know they must seal them away from those who are desperate to unlock their power. Even if it means remaining caught in a timeless struggle between the past and present forever.



I really, really wanted to adore this book. The synopsis totally pulled me and I love books where they are working on a dig. However, like the title, this book felt Timeless-like it would never end. I really think it could have been 100 pages shorter. I think the majority of my problem is that I didn't realize that it was basically a romantic suspense novel. I really thought it was going to be more of a paranormal romance book. I thought that the book was pretty good up until the last half of the book. I'm not sure why, maybe it was one accident too many with Regan saving herself and having everyone get mad at her for getting into trouble or maybe it was I was just drawn to the past lives part of the story more. 


There were a few things that really bothered me about this book. One: I always have trouble when older guys in their late twenties  fall for girls in college or high school. I know it happens, but honestly it makes it really hard for me to get into the romance. Regan is in college and Quinn is out and owns his own business. While I loved the chemistry between the two, the age difference just made it hard for me to connect to the couple. I know it's silly, and I probably should have stopped reading it early on, but I just really wanted to love these two because as separate characters they were great.  


The second thing I had trouble with was that Regan kept switching from  calling herself an archaeologist  to that of being a student. Last I checked when you were in college, it meant you were working on a degree not an actual archaeologist. I know that shouldn't have bugged as much as it did, but it bothered me to the point of distraction. 


The editing in this book wasn't bad, but like with most self published books I've read lately there were no paragraph breaks except for the dialogue. This makes for an exhausting read.   While this book didn't do it for me, the writing was good and I was able to finish it. I just wish I had known it was more romantic suspense based when I started the book so I could have been prepared for that part of the book.