Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Tempting Acquisitions by Addison Fox


Title: Tempting Acquisitions 
Author: Addison Fox 
Series: Boardrooms and Billionaires #1 
Publisher: Entangled Publishing 
Source: Publisher











CEO Keira McBride has put more than a decade of blood, sweat, and tears into restoring her family’s magazine empire and knows she can handle any business challenge thrown her way…until sexy billionaire and corporate raider Nathan Cooper makes a play for her legacy. Nathan’s not accustomed to losing and neither is Keira. When an all-consuming attraction threatens to devour them both, Nathan makes it clear he wants to move their relationship out of the boardroom and into the bedroom. Keira knows it’s going to be the negotiation of her life and the stakes have never been higher. This time, her heart is on the line…

Tempting Acquisitions was a light fun read.  It was had a nice, normal heroine (which seem to be rare in the contemporary romances I've read) a love interest that was slightly jerkish until you realize that he did have a reason for being so. Right off the bat you know that Keira has a good reason of not liking Nathan-he's about to take over her family's magazine company that she and her sisters have re-built after their father almost single handily destroyed it.   So when she finds out that Nathan is out to buy the company, she's spitting mad. She doesn't want to like him at all. When he wrangles his way into her life, she's confused. She starts realizing that he might not be so bad, but how can she like him after he's taken away everything she and her sisters had worked for?  Nathan is surprised when he can't get Kiera out of his mind. He's not used to not being able to get a women out of his head.    Kiera's sisters are great. I liked them because they reminded me of my own sisters. They were there for her, but also weren't afraid to tell her off for being an idiot and that she should be careful about having romantic feelings for Nathan.  

I just had one small problem with this book, and I have them a lot with contemporary romances and I'm not sure why.  I had a hard time believing in the romance itself.  Since it was a novella, the romance happened really fast, and for me it was almost too fast. I had a really hard time liking Kiera and Nathan as a couple and I'm not sure why because everything was there that I normally need to like a couple, (witty banter, independent characters, etc. ) but it just didn't work out for me. However, I still enjoyed the book because the writing was solid, the secondary  characters were  very likable and I had it read in one afternoon. If you like contemporary romances that are light and fun, then I think this one is perfect-it just didn't work for me.