Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Review: A Bloody Good Secret by Sierra Dean




Title: A Bloody Good Secret 
Author: Sierra Dean 
Series: Secret McQueen #2 
Genre: Urban Fantasy 
Publisher: Samhain
Number of Pages: E Book 
Source: My copy







 **Warning: this review may contain some spoilers if you haven't read book one**

After cheating death twice in one night, confessing her true nature to her werewolf soul mates and being asked to kill one of her closest friends, Secret took a much-needed vacation. By running away.
Now she’s back in town—dragged kicking and screaming—determined to clear Holden Chancery’s name. Right after she finds out what he’s accused of. It shouldn’t be hard—Holden has a habit of using their new and scintillating psychic bond to break into her thoughts and dreams at some very, shall we say, awkward moments.Just a few things stand in her way: a secretive Tribunal leader, a group of would-be vampire slayers and two werewolf boyfriends who refuse to let her operate in her customary lone-wolf style. Even less amusing are the terrifying creatures that someone is using in an attempt to gain control of the council. Even for this out-of-the-ordinary bounty hunter, it’s a challenge with potentially deadly teeth.Warning: Contains an ever-plucky heroine with no shortage of weapons, super-hot mind games, an ever-complicated love triangle and one hell of a creepy amusement park




Before I begin, a poem to my favorite guy in the love triangle:

Desmond, Roses Are Red 
Violets are blue, 
and I love you.

Ok, now that is out of the way and everyone knows which guy I like best for Secret I can begin my review. I had A Bloody Good Secret read in almost one sitting, and if I hadn't started it late at night, it would have been done in that one sitting. This series has everything you could want in a good Urban Fantasy: Surprise endings, a great love triangle, lots of action and lovable secondary characters that you want as your friends.  

Book one ends with Secret getting the order to go after her vampire mentor, Holden. Secret doesn't want to take the job, and hides out for a bit to get herself together. By the time she comes back, she realizes how much she's hurt everyone by being away. She's made a mess of the Pack that Lucas and Desmond belong to, and they were torn apart by the events that happened at the end of book one. They had no idea where Secret went to, and for the first Secret realizes how her actions have affected other people. 

I loved the scenes between Secret and Desmond. The chemistry they have between each other is great, and he gets her. Lucas though, is fed up with her and lets her know it. I love how Secret puts him in his place all the time. I still can't quite believe I've chosen the nice guy to like in this triangle as everyone knows I tend to go for the jerks who have a hidden heart of gold. I think if Lucas had been in this one more, I might have leaned more toward him, but as it stands Desmond has won my heart.  I love how as a sign of being soul bonded between Lucas and Desmond that Secret tastes Cinnamon when she's with Lucas and Limes when she is with Desmond. The scenes are such that I swear I can smell hints of lime and cinnamon in the air, but that's just me being fanciful. The two of them are great for Secret because they allow her to be herself in different ways. With Lucas she can be all tough and bad ass and Desmond brings out the softer side (such as it is) in her. 

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Holden. As my friend Bells from Hanging with Bells would say, there is an undeniable tension between him and Secret (and it pains me to admit that liking Desmond as much as I do.) and more then anyone he understands her vampire side and her job. As her mentor he's always been there for her and I love how she'll stop at nothing to prove he's innocent of the crimes that the council says he is.

I don't know which secondary I loved more ok so we know Desmond wins this battle but the others- Lucas, Holden, Mercedes, Dominick, Kellen, Brigit and Calliope, or Sig are all fabulous. All the secondary characters I grew to love in the first book return in this one and add layers to the story. Mercedes tries to bring a sense of normalcy to Secret, Desmond and Lucas are fun to cheer for, Holden is fun to try to figure out, Sig is great as the mystery figure, and the other vampires on the council are great at being fun to cheer against for being so strict. 

Even with  all the great secondary characters and the hint of romance, the thing I loved best about this book (besides Desmond) is that as soon as I thought I had everything figured out something would happen to surprise me. I love being thrown for a loop! The ending was another great one, and I can not wait until book three comes out in March. This series is one I devoured and can't wait to read more. 

Favorite quotes: 


Dominick to Secret:
You live in a special country of denial, Secret." Have you met me?" It's more like a planet."

Desmond to Secret: 

"Don't ever leave me again."
I nodded, no hesitation, to my agreement. I'd longed for the warmth of his touch every night while I'd been gone, and now that I was with him once more, I never wanted to leave. "shut up and Kissme." I demanded and he didn't wait to be told a second time.


 

Curran Crush Meter: Super, Super High 
Martini Sigh Meter: High (Desmond has some great lines) 
Barrons Hero Hotness Meter: Sooo high 
Sizzle Meter: Super High 
Finn Sidekick Meter: High