Wednesday, May 25, 2011

ARC Review: A Courtesan's Guide to Getting Your Man by Celeste Bradley and Susan Donovan




Title: A Courtesan's Guide to Getting Your Man
Authors: Celeste Bradley/Susan Donovan 
Genre: Contemporary/Historical/Erotica Romance 
Publisher: St. Martin's Press 
Publication Date: May 24, 2011
Source: Sent to me by the publisher to review
Number of Pages: 368







Regency London’s most celebrated courtesan, The Blackbird, was a woman before her time—uninhibited, financially independent, and free to live by her own rules. Schooled in the sensual arts by the one man she loved the most, she recorded every wicked detail in her diaries…
When Boston museum curator Piper Chase-Pierpont unearths The Blackbird’s steamy memoirs, she’s aroused and challenged by what she finds. Could the courtesan’s diaries  be used as a modern girl’s guide to finding love and empowerment? One curious curator—and one very lucky man—are about to find out…(from goodreads)



You know those books that you just keep saying "wow" every chapter or so, and then have to put it down because it's so hot? A Courtesan's Guide to Getting Your Man was one of those books. It's one of my favorite reads of the year so far.

This book goes back and forth between the present day and London in the 1800s. Normally books that switch time periods end up losing me completely because one of the story generally bores me to pieces. However, I loved both parts equally and all of the characters.  This book was smoking hot and sweet at the same time~I didn't think that was possible until this book. :) It just had so many aww moments at the end of the book while the middle of the book had me going "wowzer that was one steamy love scene."  It's hard to say which part I loved more the contemporary one or the historical one.

The two heroines-Piper in the present day and Ophelia Harrington (the Blackbird) for the historical story were very likable and I couldn't get enough of either of their stories. It's hard to say which one I liked more. Opheila's story was great not only because of the seriously smoking love scenes, but because the story told what it was like to be a courtesan. There is one scene that is not for the faint of heart, but I liked how all the struggles she went through helped make her stronger and more independent.  As soon as I would get really into Ophelia's story, it would change back to Pipers, but instead of being awkward the story changes worked and I loved Piper's story..which was more about finding out who she was and having the courage to go after the guy-Mick. Speaking of Mick, I just loved him to pieces. He was just as hot as the the love interest was that was in Ophelia's story.

I do have to point one tiny little thing...and I am probably one of the few readers who will even catch this: the name for Mick Malloys reality show is called Digging for the truth Mick Malloy, and it just reminded me an awful lot of one of my favorite geeky shows of all time-Digging For The Truth with Josh Bernstein.  Micks show was a tiny bit different from the real one, but not by much. I thought it would bug me that his show was so similar to the real one, but it didn't because Mick was just so likable. 


A Courtesan's Guide to Getting Your Man is just impossible to review, but it's a must read. I now want to read the entire backlist of both of the authors, and hope they write more books together because this book was just, well, wow. This is one book I wasn't able to put down.



Curran Crush Meter: High 
Martini Sigh Meter: Medium 
Barrons Hero Hotness Meter: High
Ethan/Merit Sizzle Meter: High 
Finn's Sidekick Meter: High