Saturday, April 30, 2011

Saturday Movie Review: Dial M For Murder

I'm not sure how it got started, but for the last couple of weeks Tasha, from Truth, Beauty, Freedom & Books has held what we call a hitchfest, on Twitter on Saturday nights at 10pm est where each a group of us watch a different Alfred Hitchcock movie every week. Last Saturday's movie was Dial M For Murder. I have to say, I had a lot of fun discussing the movie with everyone.


Dial M for Murder stars the beautiful Grace Kelley, Ray Milland and Robert Cummings. I admit my movie tastes generally run towards romantic comedys with a few dramas thrown in(Is anyone really shocked by that??) This Hitchock movie is about a Tennis pro who hires someone to murder his wife,because she was having an affair, but things of course go horribly wrong and the movie is all about the twists and turns of him trying to get out of this mess.

I really loved watching Tony (the tennis pro) get out of the mess he caused by trying to have his wife, Margo killed. Ray Milland was excellent at making you not like him and wanting him to see what he deserved. Watching the movie with others was interesting because they picked up on stuff that I never would have-like how the camera angles changed depending on who was talking (the good guy vs the bad one) and how in the beginning Grace Kelley's character Margo, always wore red, which everyone agreed was to let us know about her cheating ways. I also really liked how people brought up different lighting things like shadows-things I never would've picked up on my own.  While I didn't pick up a lot on the special effects, I loved talking about the clothes Grace Kelley wore. She had a few outfits that were just beautiful, and we all agreed that we missed the days when people dressed more formally.


Tonight's movie is going to be Suspicion starring Cary Grant, and I can't wait! What movie will you be watching tonight?