Sunday, August 9, 2009

Take A Chance Challenge

One of the challenges I'm in is the Take A Chance Challenge hosted by Jenners at Find Your Next Book Here. Out of the 10 parts of the challenge, I've only managed to do one of them. Here are two more that I'm on my way to finishing:

Public Spying Book


I really didn't know how I'd manage to find someone reading in public. I lucked out when my mom had her hip replacement surgery last week. There was a whole waiting room full of women reading! I think I freaked one women out trying to catch a glimpse of the title of her book. I didn't realize how many people cover up the title while holding up a book to read.

I was thrilled when the few titles I did catch were all romance books. Who knew romance books were so popular to read while a loved one was in surgery? I think it's because you don't have to really concentrate while reading them. I had almost given up hope on getting a full title of what someone was reading (I could've asked, but it somehow didn't seem right to do in a hospital waiting room.) and thought I'd be stuck with the science fiction book my dad was reading by Orson Scott Card. Fortunately for me, a women sat down across from me and was reading a Nora Roberts book-Dance Upon Air. I can't wait to read this book!

As much as I love romance books, I've stayed away from Nora Roberts. I'm not sure why-except that her books are all contemporary and I usually stick to reading historical romances.

Random Book Selection. Go to the library. Position yourself in a section such as Fiction, Non-Fiction, Mystery, Children (whatever section you want). Then write down random directions for yourself (for example, third row, second shelf, fifth book from right). Follow your directions and see what book you find. Check that book out of the library, read it and then write about it. (If you prefer, you can do the same at a bookstore and buy the book!)

This was harder then I thought it would be. I've been going to my local library since I was five, and know all the stacks by heart. It would have been easy for me to cheat and choose something I knew I would like. I gave myself the following instructions: Go to the part of the new fiction section that always changes so I wouldn't know what book would be where. (The new fiction section is pretty much just a circular end cap with about 30 books on it.) I was to walk around it 4 times and grab the third book I saw from the second shelf. I did this and ended up with A Slice of Murder by Chris Cavander. (Alias of Tim Myers, Elizabeth Bright and Melissa Glazer.) I'm about half way through it. It's a slow read, but I'm enjoying it.