Thursday, January 23, 2014

Review: Wanted One Ghost by Loni Lynne


Title: Wanted: One Ghost 
Author: Loni Lynne 
Genre: Paranormal Contemporary Romance
Publisher: Crescent Moon 
Number of Pages: 284
Source: Author 






Stuck in ghostly limbo for 238 years, James Addison can't move on to an afterlife. After being falsely accused of treason and executed, fate's cursed him to remain an earth-bound specter until he meets a historian sent to research his past. Distrustful of fate, Dr. April Branford wants to be taken seriously, but her unique ability to divine history by touching objects seriously compromises her credibility. Her latest assignment? James Addison, a legendary colonial ladies' man with a shadowy past. Without much to go on, she doesn't hold out much hope to discover the man behind the legend until the day she accidentally touches him and brings him back to life. With the help of family and ghosts from James's past, they unravel the truth. But after falling in love and with time running out, it's hard for April to believe in fate and a future where forever is now.


Wanted: One Ghost, gets credit for being original in a genre where there isn't a lot of that left. I loved the ghost aspect and how he came back to life...I really liked the relationship between James and April. The romance was just believable, and the two had a lot of chemistry between them. James is what kept me reading when the plot got to be a bit much for me and April started getting on my last nerve.

While I liked James right off the bat, April took a long time to like. Even after I started liking her, there times I just wanted to shake her. I just didn't understand why she kept questioning her gift when all the women in her family had them. Granted, a lot of that had to do with how she was raised and that fact that her Mom didn't really accept her paranormal gift, but the other women in April's life, her aunt and grandmother accepted their gifts and kept trying to reassure April about hers to the point where I just wanted to shake some sense into April.  What did like about April was that she was all about trying to help James and super loyal to him.


What lost me in the book was the villain and other ghosts that were in the book-I think it all became a bit too much for me, and honestly I'm not sure why because normally this is the sort of thing I would love, but it just didn't work for me. However, there were enough good things that I did like about the story-mainly the humor that April's family provided and the romance itself is what kept me reading give it. I ended up being surprised at the end, and I'm really glad I kept reading this even though I had some issues with it. If you are looking for a different kind of ghost story, then this one might be for you!