Saturday, November 2, 2013

Review: Innocent in the Sheikh's Harem by Marguerite Kaye


Title: Innocent In The Sheikh's Harem
Author: Marguerite Kaye
Genre: Historical Romance
Series: Princes of the Desert #1  *note* Goodreads has this as the second book in the series, but Amazon has it as the first*
Publisher: Harlequin
Number of Pages: 288
Source: My copy
Lady Celia Cleveden thinks of herself as eminently sensible from the tips of her sturdy boots to the top of her unadorned bonnet. It seemed logical she would marry an equally practical gentleman. Until she's rescued by wildly enigmatic desert prince Ramiz of A'Qadiz, while traveling across his unforgiving sands. He offers her a place in his harem and Lady Celia ought to be shocked …except the seductive desert and intoxicating Ramiz make it curiously tempting….



I bought this book because of a.) the name and b.) because I pre-ordered the newest book in this series without realizing it was a part of a series. I know with most historical romances series books work well as stand alone, but this one is about sisters, so I figured it was best to start with the first book in the series before reading the last one! :)

This book surprised me. While the pace of the writing was at times painfully slow, I still couldn't stop reading. I loved the tension between Celia and Ramiz and how they both fought their attraction for each other because they knew the odds were not in their favor to be together for a Happily Ever After.

I loved how Celia knew what she wanted and wasn't afraid to take a risk once she knew she had feelings for Ramiz. She was my favorite kind of historical romance heroine-independent, sassy and smart. I have a weakness for books set in Arabia during this time period, and I loved how I felt like I was living there and experiencing things with Celia.

I've got to be honest-I'm not sure why I loved this book so much, but I just did. :) I really can't wait to read the rest of the series. This was just a fun, fast read!