Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Dystopian And World Building: Guest Post by Julie Anne Lindsey

Please help me welcome author Julie Anne Lindsey to A Buckeye Girl Reads! She is here today talking about Dystopian and World Building! Her newest book Deceived, was released on Sept 18th! 


I’m a huge fan of YA, especially where there is romance, but dystopian has never been my favorite. That all changed last week when I picked up Divergent by Veronica Roth.
I’ve read dystopian before. Reluctantly. For example: I read the Hunger Games out of duty because the movie opened that weekend and I could put it off no more. It interested me enough to buy the trilogy. Book two captivated me and book three I literally threw at my wall. More than once. It wasn’t the best overall experience. I’ve read some other too, like Matched and Delirium, but they didn’t stick either. Not like Divergent. Divergent stuck.
I’m still kicking myself for an enormous missed opportunity. Last month, I visited Chicago for the ALA American Library Association National Conference. If I’d read Divergent before I went, my trip would’ve been much different. Thanks to Roth’s amazingly vivid depiction of a dystopian Chicago, I would’ve skipped the shopping and dining and opted instead for seeing Merciless Mart : ) or stared up at the Hancock Center imagining a zip line on the 96th floor. Oh, so much wasted time. Who needs Burberry when I could’ve walked the river and imagined it dried into mud and puddles?
The whole thing reminds me how very important setting is in a story. As an author, I wonder if I give setting enough attention. I’m worried I lack proper imagination because all my stories are set in rural Ohio. You’ll never guess where I live…. Right? *sigh* I write stories set in Ohio because I love it here. I know it. I live it. It’s one place I can describe endlessly from decades of experience. Does that make me a lazy scene setter? Probably. *hangs head in setting shame*

I will never tackle the world-building required for stories like Divergent. My imagination is stunted, I think. I’m setting impaired. What? That’s a thing. Also, and please don’t tell anyone. I have a serious inferiority complex now. After reading Divergent, I wouldn’t know where to start. I’d just fall on my face and beg forgiveness if I dared attempt it.
So, I’ll stick with what I know and love. Ohio. Honestly, Ohio really is a new world to many readers. Deciduous trees and colored leaves. Hayrides and combines. How many people can’t tilt their chin skyward at night and see stars? Lots. They see buildings. Everywhere. Did you know the fireflies I adore aren’t a part of everyone’s life? Some places don’t even have fireflies and in California…they DON’T LIGHT UP. What!

I know Ohio love is a small thing, but it’s my thing. I drop characters into my world for lots of reasons, but one of the best reasons is to invite readers over to my place. Life is beautiful here and I want to share. In Ohio, the creepiest and most fascinating season to me is fall. I chose fall to begin my newest release, DECEIVED. In this story, a teen begins her senior year with that anything-can-happen feeling rolling inside her. I miss that sometimes. Unfortunately, as the leaves start falling and trees begin sleeping and night comes earlier and earlier….the monster who haunts her dreams literally breaks loose into her reality. He’s there to kill her. Too bad no one bothers to warn her.
If you’re in the mood for a YA suspense, or a bookish trip to Ohio, I hope you’ll consider DECEIVED.
Thank you so much, Colette, for letting me be a part of your blog!


DECEIVED by Julie Anne Lindsey
Ever since she could remember, Elle has had to hop from town to town to keep up with her dad's demanding career as a corporate insurance agent. Each time, a reoccurring nightmare followed her wherever she went--until the day that the frightening figures haunting her at night became all too real. When news of a serial killer spreads throughout her new school, Elle worries that the Reaper has been leaving her his calling card in the form of cigarette butts on her doormat and an unusual ribbon in her locker. With the help of Brian, a boy she meets at a flea market, she discovers that this isn't her first encounter with the murderer and that her father has been concealing her true identity for the past twelve years. But despite her father's desperate attempts to protect her, Elle still comes face to face with the darkness she has been running from her whole life. Trapped in the woods and with help hundreds of miles away, will Elle be able to confront the Reaper and reclaim the life she lost?
Available September 18th on Amazon Barnes & Noble Book Depository and more.


About Julie:
Julie Anne Lindsey is a multi-genre author who writes the stories that keep her up at night. In 2013, Julie welcomes five new releases in three genres including her newest title, DECEIVED, a YA suspense from Merit Press, and her first cozy mystery, MURDER BY THE SEASIDE, book one in the Patience Price, Counselor at Large series from Carina Press (a digital imprint of Harlequin).
Julie is a self-proclaimed word nerd who would rather read than almost anything else. She started writing to make people smile. Someday she plans to change the world. Most days you'll find her online, amped up on caffeine and wielding a book.
Julie is a member of the International Thriller Writers (ITW), Society of Children’s Book Writers & Illustrators (SCBWI), Sisters in Crime (SinC) and the Canton Writer’s Guild.

Find her online:
Tweeting her crazy @JulieALindsey
Soothing her book obsession on GoodReads
Pinning the pretty on Pinterest
Tumbling lamely on Tumblr
Blogging about books and writing at Musings from the Slush Pile