Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Release Day Review: Biting Bad by Chloe Neill



Title: Biting Bad 
Author: Chloe Neill 
Series: Chicagoland Vampires #8 
Genre: Urban Fantasy 
Publisher: NAL 
Number of Pages: 366
Source: Publisher 












Merit has been a vampire for only a short while, but she’s already seen a lifetime’s worth of trouble. She and her Master, centuries-old Ethan Sullivan, have risked their lives time and again to save the city they love. But not all of Chicago is loving them back.

 Anti-vampire riots are erupting all over town, striking vampires where it hurts the most. A splinter group armed with Molotov cocktails and deep-seated hate is intent on clearing the fanged from the Windy City come hell or high water. Merit and her allies rush to figure out who’s behind the attacks, who will be targeted next, and whether there’s any way to stop the wanton destruction. The battle for Chicago is just beginning, and Merit is running out of time.


The Chicagoland Vampire Series by Chloe Neill holds a special place in my heart because it was the first Urban Fantasy series that I read that I adored and had to have the next book now!! While there have been ups and downs with this series, the characters are some my all time favorites. This series is still an auto-buy for me, and one of the few that I really don't care what the basic plot is because I love all the characters so much.


Merit is truly a kick ass heroine. I love how she isn't afraid to go after those who are on the wrong side of justice and that she fights for what she believes in. It's been nice watching her grow as a character-from someone who was unsure of themselves to be tough as nails, and now finally to lean on Ethan just a little bit. I'd be remiss if I didn't say how much I still love Ethan, and in this book I was reminded why I fell in love him so much in the earlier books. He had some great sigh worthy quotes, let Merit do her thing, but at the same time was there for her when she needed him. I loved how he was there for the other vampires, no matter what the consequences would be to him.  


What stands out the most though in this series is that the secondary characters are so memorable. You have the good guys who you just want to give a hug to-like Mallory, Catcher, Jeff, Merit's Grandfather, and bad guys who you just wish would go away, like yesterday! I'm talking about the GP and McKetrick. I love that they are so fun not to like.  

 The only real problem I have with Biting Bad is that for some reason the writing had a YA vibe to it. I'm not sure why, but I just couldn't shake that feeling-despite that though, I really enjoyed this much more then I have the last couple in the series. It's one of the few series that I kinda wish everyone had their own spin off series to. I'd love one with the shifters and the other vampire houses-especially Grey House. I loved seeing them more involved in the series. It was just nice to see the series back to it's old self again.