Thursday, May 16, 2013

Review: Knight & Play by Kitty French


Title: Knight & Play 
Author: Kitty French 
Genre: Erotica Romance (Contemporary
Series: Knight #1
Number of Pages:  211
Publisher: Kitty French 
Source: My copy 







CEO of Knight Inc. Lucien Knight is catch-your-breath gorgeous and damaged by his troubled past in Norway. All grown up and relocated to London, he's built his empire of adult clubs from the ground up to become the gorgeous patron saint of the sex industry. No one knows the dark childhood secrets that have given Lucien a backbone of steel and a heart encased in ice. No one until Sophie Black, that is...From the moment girl-next-door Sophie accepts the job as Lucien Knight's PA, she understands how Alice must have felt when she tumbled down the rabbit hole. Lucien takes her safe, vanilla life away and plunges her head first into a huge dish of fantasy flavours. Rich, spicy chocolate covered with dark, oozingly lickable sauce? Check. Tutti-frutti with indecently red, glistening cherries on the top? Yes please. Lucien strips away all of Sophie's inhibitions, and when he instructs her to select three new toys, she soon realises he has more than a game of Monopoly on his mind...  He's opened the door to a whole new pleasure packed world without limits, and Sophie is utterly intoxicated. But how far is she willing to go? And what happens when she has to step back into reality again? Lucien & Sophie's is a story of star crossed love and forbidden passion, a sexual odyssey that spans the globe and changes both of their lives forever. Let it change yours, too.

This book should not have worked for me, but it did. Maybe it was because the last few romances I read where just so predictable and meh but I just couldn't stop reading this novella. I loved the innocence of Sophie with the totally not innocent Lucien. As a heroine, I should not have been able to relate to Sophie at all. She's married, and her marriage is failing.  She's in a dead end job with a boss that tries to cope a feel all the time. She decides that she's had enough, and applies for a job in a field that is totally alien to her-working as a P.A. for the owner of a sex club/toy owner Lucien Knight. It's instant lust on both sides, and Sophie does try to fight it, even though she's pretty sure her husband is cheating on her and knows her marriage is at an end. Lucien though, breaks through her defenses. He teaches her that there is more to life then what she is living, and breaks her out of her comfort zone. I know this sounds like a typical erotica romance, but it's not....maybe because Lucien is just soooo......alpha male and Sophie is so not. 

Lucien and Sopie have sizzling chemistry together, and the love scenes between them are a need a fan kind of hot. I found myself really kind of yelling at Sophie to open her eyes up when it came to her husband, because really he did not deserve her loyalty. It surprised me that I felt that way because normally I don't like plots with cheating spouses.   I know I'm rambling on, but honestly I loved how this book was sizzling hot, and while it compares itself to fifty shades, it's really not like that at all in my opinion and I liked that about it. While I enjoyed this book, the second and final book in the series blew this one out of the water. Knight & Play is just a fun, quick, hot read that is perfect for a summer read.