Monday, May 13, 2013

Otherkin by Nina Berry


Title: Otherkin
Author: Nina Berry 
Genre: Young Adult/Urban Fantasy 
Series: Otherkin #1 
Publisher:  Kensington 
Number of Pages: 320
Source: My Copy 







Synopsis: 
Dez is a good girl who does as she's told and tries not to be noticed. Then she rescues a boy from a cage, and he tells her secrets about herself. Now inside her burns a darkness that will transform her. Everything is about to change--and neither Caleb, nor the Otherkin, nor those who hunt them, are prepared for what Dez will unleash.

I read this for Dewey's 24 Hour Read-a-thon back in April.  I loved this one!! It's your typical Young Adult book: A young girl all of sudden gets powers she doesn't know she has and works to figure out why she is so different then everyone else while falling in love with the one boy she shouldn't be falling for. Caleb stole my heart and I can see why Dez totally fell for him. I love that they get each other out of trouble and the banter between the two is great. They were just a lot of fun together because even though there was the normal angst of "oh we shouldn't be together" it worked with this one because it didn't take over the entire story line. 

 What set this one apart from the crowd was the world building. I loved that there were different type of shifters and that no group gets along with the others, even though they face a common enemy. I also loved that even the Dez didn't really know what was going on with her, she dealt with it well, and was able to connect to those around her and make them see that they didn't have to be so different from one another. This was a great start to a new series, and I can't wait to see what will happen next.