Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Review: Thirty Nights With A Highland Husband by Melissa Mayhue


Title: Thirty Nights With A Highland Husband 
Author: Melissa Mayhue 
Genre: Time Travel/Historical Romance
Series: Daughters of the Glen 
Publisher: Pocket
Number of Pages: 356
Source: My Copy 








Synopsis: 
SCOTLAND, 1272. Connor MacKiernan, a descendant of the Fae Prince, is a warrior who lives only for honor and duty. Though he's vowed never to marry, that's exactly what he must do to save his sister. Enter a little Faerie magic, and the search for a bride is on. DENVER, 2007. Caitlyn Coryell is having a really bad day -- she just discovered her fiance with another woman! Imagine her surprise when she puts on some sexy lingerie and an antique pendant and Connor appears in her bedroom, begging for her help. He offers a simple yet outrageous adventure: travel to his time, marry him, and return home.

But nothing's simple when Cate is trapped in the thirteenth century. The wedding's delayed, someone's trying to kill her, and in the middle of all this, she realizes she's falling in love with a man who can only be her husband for thirty nights.


 This series has been on my want to read list for quite awhile now, and I have to say I'm sorry I didn't start it sooner. I met the author last year at the Lori Foster Reader/Author Get Together, and was lucky enough to have the last book in this series signed. Now I just need to catch up so I can read it!


I'm still not sure what compelled me to read this as I haven't been on the best of terms with any kind of historical romance lately. However, this one totally worked for me. It had the perfect blend of modern language used with Scottish brogue. Sometimes historical romances set in Scotland tend to go over board with historical accuracy, making it hard for me to read it. This one though, did it completely right. 


I've also discovered that with time travels sometimes the way they travel back in time is so stupid that it makes it hard for me to get into the book.  This one though was done with a little bit of fae magic, and for some reason that made it more plausible then staring at a picture and being catapulted through time.  I liked how Connor asked Caitlyn if she would help him out, and after just catching her fiancee in bed with another women and deciding that she needed some adventure in her life, she says yes.  I thought Caitlyn's reaction to everything was pretty normal, and I loved how they both fought their attraction to each other. Caitlyn grows a lot during the span of the book, and I loved how she went from being someone who was afraid to do what she wanted to taking charge to save the day.  Connor was a great Alpha Male. There's nothing more fun then to watch an Alpha male finally realize it's ok to let someone else in. There were times I wanted to shake Connor for being so stubborn, but for the most part I loved watching him fall for Caitlyn.  The secondary characters, especially Connors sister and Aunt were wonderful. Even when the pov changed to the villains pov I didn't get annoyed like I usually do-it didn't break up the flow of the romance or take away from the story being told.  


Where there some eye rolling moments? Totally, but all in all this was a delight to read. I can't wait until my book buying ban is over with so I can read the other books in this series. (My library only has the last 4 books in the series!)