Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Review: City of Bones by Cassandra Clare


Title: City of Bones
Author: Cassandra Clare
Genre: Young Adult/Urban Fantasy
Series: Mortal Instruments #1
Number of Pages: 485
Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry Books/Simon and Schuster
Source: My Copy













Synopsis: 
When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder -- much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing -- not even a smear of blood -- to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?

This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know. . . . 



My Rambling Review: 

I'm feeling a little bit stupid right now for not reading this series earlier. I mean really, what was I waiting for? The only reason I finally broke down and read this was because movie releases in August and I wanted to see what all the hype was about this series. When I started reading and discovered that Clary was fifteen, I was a little worried that I wouldn't be able to get through the book. For whatever reason, I have trouble with YA books whose heroines are under 16. (Maybe because I'm ancient and way past the age demographic meant for these books, lol?) Well, I had nothing to worry about because Clary while totally naive and innocent isn't afraid to go after what she wants-and that's her mom back from Valentine, the guy who took her. She turned out to be really headstrong & stubborn. I loved it.

 The secondary characters were totally lovable. Jace is like a mini-barrons! He was arrogant, jerkish and a total alpha at the age of 16. All the qualities I love in an urban fantasy hero. Is it wrong that I have a bit of crush on him? Why does that make me feel a bit icky? He was a great match for Clary who was his complete opposite in every way, yet they made a great pair.  Isabelle & Alec were great because they helped so much with world building. They along with Jace explained everything to Clary, and I loved that it was done in such a way that the reader wasn't talked down to or that it wasn't dumped on the reader all at once. Instead it was done in bits and pieces and I was able to figure out everything when Clary did and I enjoyed that. The only character I really didn't care for was Clary's best friend, Simon. Please tell me he's not going to be a love interest.

Even though the parents are all M.I.A. there are adults in this book, and I liked that not everything was as black and white as it seemed. There were a few twists and turns concerning them that I didn't see coming and was mad at myself for being shocked because all of the signs were there. I mean, really there could not have been more foreshadowing then what there was. In my defense, I think I was in denial and didn't want to see the signs that were there. :)

I'm still surprised that I enjoyed this book as much as I did! I can't wait to dive into the rest of the books. :)

Edited to add: I just saw the movie trailer & thought they did a wonderful job with casting. I'm totally fangirl ready to see it. I wonder how old I am sometimes. :)