Saturday, April 27, 2013

Dewey's 24 Hour Read A Thon Update Post :)


End of event meme:
  1. Which hour was most daunting for you? Hour 15-Have no idea why!!
  2. Could you list a few high-interest books that you think could keep a Reader engaged for next year? I highly recommend Big Boy by Ruthie Knox, Frostbite by Lynn Rush, and any YA Dystopian book. :) 
  3. Do you have any suggestions for how to improve the Read-a-thon next year? To have a list of twitter accounts somewhere on the site for people participating in the event, like Bloggiesta does.
  4. What do you think worked really well in this year’s Read-a-thon? I think the cheerleaders were much more organized this year! It was nice to have some late night cheering for a change-but had almost none during the mid afternoon point.
  5. How many books did you read? I read 3
  6. What were the names of the books you read? Big Boy by Ruthie Knox, Otherkin by Nina Berry, Highlander Mine by Kharisma Rhayne and got halfway through Frostbite by Lynn Rush.
  7. Which book did you enjoy most? Big Boy by Ruthie Knox 
  8. Which did you enjoy least? I liked all of mine!! 
  9. If you were a Cheerleader, do you have any advice for next year’s Cheerleaders? I wasn't a cheerleader, but have been in the past. I recommend cheering at different times of the day & going through your list gradually. 
  10. How likely are you to participate in the Read-a-thon again?  I'm very likely to do it again! What role would you be likely to take next time? I'd love to host a mini challenge or became a co-host.

Hours: 17. 18. and 19:  It took me an hour and half to decide to what to read next, but I finally made up my mind! It's 3:30am here, and even with my huge nap earlier, I just can't stay awake any longer. This has been a fun read-a-thon even though I didn't watch as many movies, eat as much food, do as many mini challenges or visit as many blogs as I normally do. On the plus side though, I did get a lot more reading done-have no idea how, but I did. :)





Hours 14, 15, 16: I finished Episodes One-Five of Highlander Mine by Kharisma Rhayne. I love, love, love this time travel serial. Auralee is getting her PHd in History and is doing research when she is sent back in time to 1560 Scotland to save Braedan. He's been told of her arrival for awhile because of Angus, a druid that works for his father. However he doesn't believe in magic, so when she appears he tries to make sense of her arrival..

Initial Thoughts: Braedan is a total alpha male & is fighting his feelings something fierce for Aurlee. Aurelee is tough, but hasn't done anything to force the relationship along. This would normally annoy me, but it actually work--plus the series has a long way to go and I can't wait for her and Braedan battle of wills to begin. Both are perfect for each other and the episodes alternate povs.

Title: Highlander Mine, Episodes 1-5
Author: Kharisma Rhayne
Genre: Time Travel
Publisher: Kharisma Rhayne
Number of pages: each episode is about 20 pgs






Hours 11, 12, 13- I took a nap ):


Hour 8-9 and most of 10: I was at a friends baby shower. I had lots of fun seeing old friends, but oh, how I hate those stupid games.

Hour 7:
I love novellas. They make me feel like such a fast reader! I just finished Big Boy by Ruthie Knox.  I loved it because it was so different!

Title:  Big Boy
Author: Ruthie Knox
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Number of Pages: 66
Publisher: Samhain
Series: Strangers On A Train





Initial thoughts after reading it: Perfect for a Saturday afternoon read!

Hours 2-6

I finished a book, woohoo!! I started reading Otherkin by Nina Berry late last night, and it took me a bit longer to finish it this morning then I thought it would. I had to run a few errands this morning-mainly getting lunch, gas, and wrap the stupid gift for the baby shower, and that took much longer then I thought it would.



Title: Otherkin
Author: Nina Berry
Genre: Young Adult/Paranormal Romance
Number of Pages: 320
Publisher: Kensington
Series: Otherkin #1







Dez is a good girl who does as she's told and tries not to be noticed. Then she rescues a boy from a cage, and he tells her secrets about herself. Now inside her burns a darkness that will transform her. Everything is about to change--and neither Caleb, nor the Otherkin, nor those who hunt them, are prepared for what Dez will unleash

Initial thoughts: This wasn't your typical YA Paranormal Romance, and I liked that about it. I loved, loved Caleb. To me he was the best part of the book. :) 

Hour One Update:


Books Read: Zero, but I am 40% through Otherkin by Nina Barry. I'm enjoying this book a lot. Should be a fast read.
Cups of Coffee consumed: 2
I got this picture this morning of my nephew starting his day off in a swing. It's his first time swinging, and I think he enjoyed it, but he kinda looks like he's not sure what's going on:



Woohoo! It's Readathon day. I am super excited.   I've decided once again to put everything in one post so that I won't have a 100 posts to clutter everyone's feed with. I'm kicking it off with the hour one introductory questionnaire:


1) What fine part of the world are you reading from today? I'm reading from Ohio! 
2) Which book in your stack are you most looking forward to? Frostbite by Lynn Rush & I can't wait to finish Otherkin by Nina Barry.
3) Which snack are you most looking forward to? I kinda failed on this one as I don't have many snacks prepared, so I guess I have to go with popcorn.
4) Tell us a little something about yourself! This is my fourth or fifth readathon, and even though I don't get a lot of reading done, I always have fun! This is the first time that I can't do it the entire day-I have to go to a baby shower late in the afternoon. Hopefully that won't be too painful. 
5) If you participated in the last read-a-thon, what’s one thing you’ll do different today? If this is your first read-a-thon, what are you most looking forward to? I'll be doing more mini-challenges and reading novellas & serials instead of full length books...of course that may change!