Monday, October 29, 2012

Review: Heart of Danger by Lisa Marie Rice


 Title: Heart of Danger
Author: Lisa Marie Rice
Genre: Romantic Suspense (Futuristic)
Publisher: Avon Red
Number of Pages: 320
Source: Edelweiss
Release Date: November 6, 2012











They are Ghosts. They do not exist. Their birth certificates have been destroyed, all traces of their civilian and military pasts wiped out. They have no official military rank and wear no uniforms or insignia, save a tiny steel pin of a striking hawk forged from the rifle that killed Osama Bin Laden. Once again Lisa Marie Rice delivers a sizzling, heart-stopping new series as only she can tell it.
Ghost Ops. A small team of super elite soldiers so secret only two men know of their existence-General Clancy Flynn and their commanding officer, Colonel Lucius Ward. On a mission to destroy a US-based lab working on weaponized bubonic plague, the team is betrayed by their commanding officer. The Team is massacred and only three men survive to be court martialed: the Team Leader, Tom 'Mac' McEnroe, tech genius John Ryan, and lethal Nick Ross. They disappear en route to prison and are never heard of again. Mac and his men hole up in a high tech lair, completely off the grid. But when a beautiful woman somehow finds him, he doesn't know whether to kiss her, or kill her.Dr. Catherine Young is on a mission, propelled by forces beyond her control to find a man who has disappeared off the face of the earth. She is bearing a deadly message from a dying man. Catherine has a gift that allows her to see into the heart of others. But looking into Mac McEnroe's heart is like looking into the heart of danger itself.




I'm not sure what made me request Heart of Danger for review, but I'm glad I did. This book had so much sexual tension between the characters that you could feel the steam rising from the pages. I loved it! I loved that the smokin hot scenes also had a lot of emotion from each character, and that hero, Mac couldn't believe all the emotion he was feeling for the heroine, Dr. Catherine Young.

 I loved it so much, that I got annoyed when the pov kept changing to the villains. There were a few of them, and I felt that for a book that only had 14 chapters, the pov switch from the main characters to them took a lot out of the romance. I didn't care why the bad guys were doing what they were doing or how they were feeling. I realize that this was book one of a series, and it was done to set up the story arc for other books, but it still annoyed me. There's nothing worse then being caught up in an emotional scene between the main characters only to have it switched in the next chapter to someone writing an email. I thought those transitions were a bit choppy and jarring.

I am a quirky reader. I like finding out the mystery the same time that the characters do. For me, revealing things early is frustrating, because you spend half the time waiting for the main characters to figure it out, and they look dumb for not figuring it out before they do.


Despite the pov switching, this story pulled me right in, and I liked that it was set in the near future-however, I'm still not sure why because with the military theme, it could have been set in the present day. The mystery itself was good-it was one of betrayal, honor and loyalty. Most of all though, I just loved the romance between Catherine and Mac. They were both  independent, stubborn and afraid to give into their feelings. It was just a great, hot read. I really can't wait to read more by this author.

Barrons Hero Hotness Meter: High
Curran Crush Meter: High
Rhiannon Kick Ass Heroine Meter: Medium
Martini Sigh Meter: High
Cover Crush: High