Friday, October 5, 2012

Author Interview with Gini Koch


Please help me welcome Gini Koch,  one of my favorite writers back to A Buckeye Girl Reads. She's here to talk about her newest release from Musa Publishing: Three Card Monte, book two in the Martian Alliance series. 
 A risky gamble turns deadly when the galaxy's most feared terrorist arrives to up the ante.
When their favorite bookie pulls up stakes from Roulette and moves to Polliworld, the crew of the Hummingbird go to find out why, and hopefully get a cut of the action, but they end up caught in a high stakes game of chance that could destroy them.
Genre: Science Fiction 
Publisher: Musa Publisher 
Release Date: October 5, 2012 
Buy Links:







1. How far into the future is the series set?
At least a thousand years, maybe more. I’m fuzzy on the exact timeframe, because the characters are counting time based on a variety of different things (galaxy expansion, the Diamante Purge, etc.), but it’s far, far out there.

2. Who was the most fun character to write?
Monte the Leech. And, of course, DeeDee. Because it’s a first person series, I always enjoy the “voice” character the most, but the character of Monte really drove the entire story, and he was a lot of fun to play with.

3. Does this book start where The Royal Scam stops, or is it in a different
time period?
Same time period, basically a few weeks after the end of The Royal Scam. We’re following the same cast of characters, the crew of the Hummingbird, so there won’t be a big gap in time between any of their adventures. At least, not so far as I have planned.

4. How did you come up with the title of the book?
Because of the character who sets things in motion. I like to have a play on words in my titles if I can manage it in some way, and once you read this book, you’ll see why it’s called Three Card Monte.

5. What's the biggest challenge of writing a book set in the future?
Deadlines. LOL I think writing things set in the far future, where there is no way anyone can tell me what I’m doing is impossible, is the most fun. I love writing, all genres, all time periods, but I get to have the most freedom when writing far future science fiction, so I don’t find there to be many challenges at all.

My real challenge is to make a fun, funny, interesting story. And that’s the challenge any time I sit down to write, regardless of time period. (Oh, but if you’d asked me what the challenges of writing a historical or present day story were, I’d still be whining.)

So I return to: Deadlines.

Author Bio: 
Gini Koch lives in Hell’s Orientation Area (aka Phoenix, AZ), works her butt off (sadly, not literally) by day, and writes by night with the rest of the beautiful people. She writes the fast, fresh and funny Alien/Katherine “Kitty” Katt series for DAW Books, the Necropolis Enforcement Files series, and the Martian Alliance Chronicles series for Musa Publishing. As G.J. Koch she writes the Alexander Outland series for Night Shade Books. She also writes under a variety of other pen names (including Anita Ensal, Jemma Chase, A.E. Stanton, and J.C. Koch), listens to rock music 24/7, and is a proud comics geek-girl willing to discuss at any time why Wolverine is the best superhero ever (even if Deadpool does get all the best lines). She speaks frequently on what it takes to become a successful author and other aspects of writing and the publishing business. She can be reached through her website at www.ginikoch.com


Where to find Gini: