Saturday, August 4, 2012

Review: Biting Cold by Chloe Neill

       ***MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS IF YOU HAVE NOT READ BOOKS 1-5***


Title: Biting Cold 
Author: Chloe Neill 
Genre: Urban Fantasy 
Series: Chicagoland Vampires #6 
Publisher: NAL 
Number of Pages: 386
Source: Sent from publisher
Release Date: August 7, 2012

 


Turned into a vampire against her will, twenty-eight-year-old Merit found her way into the dark circle of Chicago’s vampire underground, where she learned there was more to supernaturals than met the eye—and more supernaturals than the public ever imagined. And not all the secrets she learned were for sharing—among humans or inhumans. Now Merit is on the hunt, charging across the stark American Midwest, tailing a rogue supernatural intent on stealing an ancient artifact that could unleash catastrophic evil on the world. But Merit is also the prey. An enemy of Chicagoland is hunting her, and he’ll stop at nothing to get the book for himself. No mercy allowed. No rules apply. No lives spared. The race is on. (goodreads)


 Merit is one of my all time favorite heroines. She made carrying a katana sword cool. I love how she's not afraid to speak her mind to Ethan or anyone else. She has her own moral code, and follows it even if it means going up against those she loves.  This time the enemy hits a little too close to home, and she has to make some tough decisions. I liked how she didn't back down, and kept going despite all odds. I enjoyed seeing how her relationship with those around her have grown and matured. 

One of the biggest problems I have with this series is that each time a character is introduced, I fall in love with them, and am always disappointed when I don't seem more of them. Two characters that I enjoyed the most in previous books, Morgan and J0nah have become nothing more then a footnote. It makes a little hesitant to like any new possible new love interest for Merit because once their storyline is wrapped up, I know I won't see them again. It's frustrating as a reader,  but it's rare that I find a writer that continually writes such lovable characters that I can't part with. 

 There was something missing though from this book, and I just can't quite pin down what it was. There were new characters introduced, even if there were a bit out there (gnomes, really?) so that's not what was missing. Sexual tension with Ethan was there, so that wasn't it....I think maybe what was missing was the friendship Merit has with Mallory, Catcher & Jeff. That just wasn't there because of the storyline with Mallory. I think what was also missing  the shock value. The ending was a little predictable, there was enough foreshadowing that  even I could guess what was going to happen.

While this series has lost some of the shine of earlier books, this book was better then the last two. Chloe Neill continues to impress me with her ability to make the world of the Chicagoland Vampires seem like my own world. At the same time though, I am a bit disappointed with the series, but you know what? I feel like I'm too invested in the characters to stop reading it now and know I'll have to see this series to the end.