Friday, July 6, 2012

Keeping Secret by Sierra Dean







 Title: Keeping Secret
Author: Sierra Dean 
Genre: Urban Fantasy 
Series: Secret McQueen #4 
Publisher Samhain Publisher
Source: Sent from the author
Release Date: July 10th
  




 
Something old, something blue, something deadly…what else is new?
It’s a nice day for a white wedding. At least that’s what Secret McQueen is hoping for, with her poofy-princess-dress marriage to a werewolf king looming closer and closer by the day. But as ever, nothing can be that easy for a vampire/werewolf hybrid for whom someone still harbors a death wish.
Summoned to the south by her werewolf uncle, who makes no bones about the fact her mate bond with Lucas doesn’t pass muster, Secret learns her furry heritage looks more like a tangled vine than a family tree. Getting her royal uncle’s blessing hinges on finding one of the missing twigs. Even with vampire sentry Holden Chancery at her side, she manages to land up to her neck in a swamp of trouble.As an assassin’s scope zeroes in, family dramas boil up and a fast-collapsing love square threatens to bury her alive, making it to the church on time could be the least of Secret’s problems. Product Warnings Contains a grumpy bride who shouldn’t be wearing wedding white, a motley crew of bridesmaids, a dangerous scenic drive in the woods and a smoking-hot trio of suitors who might be too scorching to touch (goodreads)


This book grabbed me by the heart at the very beginning and didn't let go. I can't remember the last time I was thrown in so many different directions while reading. Secret had so many things thrown at her and made so many dumb decisions that I found myself shaking my head and yelling at her through the book. There was one point toward the end of the book where I almost threw my Kindle Fire across the room. I honestly wasn't sure if I was going to be able to finish reading. I took a few deep breaths,  and went back to reading. Only to find that the ending left me wanting more now and wanting to slap Secret upside the head a little. (ok, a lot.)

In this book we got to see lots more of Holden, who is a vampire and Lucas who is a werewolf and King of the Eastern Pack. While I am not a fan of either of them, it was high time she had some quality time spent with them. What to say about Lucas? Normally I love alpha males, but he just confounds me with his alphaness. He was the main reason my heart was racing a hundred miles an hour while reading this book. I just kept wanting to slap him silly, lol. Then there is Holden. He is another part of the love quadruple for Secret. He shows up when you least expect him to and always throws in a few curve balls. The main reason I don't like Holden is because he is stiff competition for Desmond. Who is Desmond you ask? He's Lucas' First Lieutenant, and my favorite pick to win Secret's heart. I'm still surprised that I like him so much, because out of all the guys mentioned so far, he's the nicest of the bunch. Even though he isn't as Alpha as Lucas or Holden, I feel like he gets Secret the most and understands her feelings the best. I felt so bad for him with this book and just wanted to hug him, slap Lucas and shake some sense into Secret and curse Holden. (the last part just because, lol.)

Keeping Secret we got to learn more about Secrets family and the werewolf side of her. I really liked that. She's been fighting that half of her for so long, it was nice to see to see her have to deal with it instead of ignoring that part of her. This is a fast paced read that will have you shaking your fists just a little bit. (ok a lot.) Yes, that's right. A LOT especially if you are not a fan of a certain someone.

This has became a favorite Urban Fantasy series for me because it has unforgettable secondary characters, a strong, independent yet likable heroine and swoon-worthy alpha males. It's also a great place to start if you haven't read a lot of Urban Fantasy because the world building is introduced gradually and doesn't ever overwhelm the story being told.

Barrons Hero Hotness Meter:  High 
Curran Crush Meter: Off the charts. TEAM LIME FOREVA!
Martini Sigh Meter: High 
Rhiannon Kick Ass Heroine Meter: High
Finn/Swopes Sidekick Meter: High