Saturday, June 23, 2012

The Iron Queen by Julie Kagawa


Title: The Iron Queen 
Author: Julie Kagawa 
Genre: Young Adult/Fantasy 
Series: Iron Fey #3 
Publisher: Harlequin Teen 
Source: Netgalley








This poor book has sat on my kindle far too long. You know those series that you start, can't get enough of, then for whatever reason just can't get into the next book that comes out even though you've waited forever to read? That's how this book was for me. I requested this book from netgalley, and started it so many times only to realize that I remembered almost nothing of the first two books. So I would stop reading the book, and check out book one from the library. I would mean to re-read it, but never did. So the book sat until I could re-read the series. Well that never happened. Once I started reading it for real, I felt a little foolish, because the author does a fantastic job of telling the reader what happens in the first two books without it being too repetitive for those who don't need it.

Once I got past the first chapter, I was sucked into the story and felt like I had never left the world created in the first two books. Julie Kagawa is a masterful storyteller and I loved how the world building became another character. I don't know how to describe the world other then it just came alive and I never wanted to leave it.

Meghan, Ash and Puck are just plain awesome. They are the ultimate YA love triangle, and there were times I just wanted to strangle the three of them for being so stupid with each other. Megan is just endearing. I loved watching her struggle with dealing with everything that has happened to her, realizing her life will never be the same, and that others are counting on her. She is tough, independent yet at the same time not perfect. Ash and Puck are also tough, independent yet both have their own weaknesses, and don't like the fact that this one girl means so much to them. As great as these two guys are, Ash is my favorite. He's not used to showing his emotions, yet lets his guard down around Meghan and it's great to see him struggling with them. He's your typical alpha male, and I really shouldn't like him as a match for Meghan, but I do. :) Puck is the good one, yet has his own hidden secrets and isn't at all happy that he is just friends with Megan, but is willing to sacrifice some pretty major stuff to make sure that no harm comes to her.

New and old secondary characters were woven into the storyline with ease, and didn't take away from any of the plots going on in the book. I love it when old friends pop up when you least expect them to and new ones appear that make you equally love/hate them. My favorite of all the secondary characters in this series  is Grimalkin. I want my own talking cat! He steels whatever scene he is and saves the day when you least expect it.

The Iron Fey is just a wonderful series, and if you think that the Fey have been done to death, you really need to read this series because it's a great example of creating something great in a sub-genre field that is crowded with mediocrity.

Favorite Quotes: 

I slumped in defeat. "I just...I only wanted...I can't watch either of you die," I muttered again, a weak excuse that sounded lamer by the second. Puck snorted. "Come on Meghan. A little faith, please? He crossed his arms and gave me an annoyed look. " You're writing us off before we even get started. Me and ice-boy both. I've been around a long time, I intend to be around awhile longer." 

Ash brushed the hair from my neck and and leaned close to my ear, his voice so soft not even Grimalkin could've heard it. "I love you," he murmured, and my heart nearly burst out of my chest. "Whatever happens, we're together now. Always."