Friday, May 25, 2012

HellBound By Berrin Rae


Title: Hellbound
Author: Berinn Rae
Series: Guardian of the Seven Seals #2
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Publisher: Crescent Moon 
Number of Pages: 232
Source: Sent to me from the author





 Everyone has monsters under the bed... 
The Seven Seals are said to be all that stands between humanity’s survival and the end of days. Led by a reclusive angel, the Seven are immortals, enhanced by the marks they bear. After centuries of bloodshed, the Seven and their Guardians have brought down the nefarious Dominion. But the world isn’t safe yet. Now, a rogue hellhound is building an army to claim the Seven Seals for himself. But what if you're one of them?
In one night, Lana Wolfe’s life was destroyed and she was reborn a walking nightmare. A year later, she dedicates her life to destroying others like her. That is, until she discovers Orion Benandanti, the Alpha of all hellhounds and host to the Third Seal. But when the hunter becomes the hunted and Orion’s Seal is put at risk, the only way to survive is for Lana to trust the man who very well may destroy her soul. Will she let him claim her—for the Seal’s protection and for a passion forged in hell’s hottest fires. (goodreads)

 
I got so into this book. There were times I just wanted to shake some sense into everyone, especially the heroine Lena. I loved that she was strong, could her own and wasn't afraid to tell Orion to shut the hell up and stop acting like he owned her because he thought she was his mate. There came a point though, where she was so headstrong that she ran right into trouble. I have to admit that I said I told you so to myself when that happened, but loved it when she was able to get out of the mess by herself without the help of Orion. I think that is what I enjoyed the most about Lena. She didn't relay on Orion to do every little thing for her. Both Orion and Lena were so unused to the feelings they had for each other that it was great to watch them struggle with accepting the fact that they did have some feelings for each other.

The secondary cast was much more put together in this book then the first one. I loved everyone in Orion's pack, especially his brother Ben. (I hope he gets his own book) I have to say that there were a few things that happened that I didn't expect, especially to a character I really liked. In the first book I really liked Cellach and thought he was wrongfully pegged as the bad guy. However in this book, I really didn't like him at all..but a part of me still thinks he can be redeemed and I would like to seem with his own book. He has an equally awful sidekick, who has a connection to Lena, and he was just so smarmy that I cringed at almost everything he did.  What made me really happy was that the good guys were really likable and the bad guys were really awful. There is nothing worse then a boring bad guy!!

The couple in the first book, Gareth and Kerra weren't really in this one at all. I have to admit that I liked that, because one of my pet peeves is when characters from past books over power the current love story being told. I also liked how this books setting was in a different place then the first one was.  It was just refreshing. Another difference in the two books is while I thought the first one read more like an Urban Fantasy, this one was definitely a paranormal romance. There was a lot of action, but not so much that the romance got lost. The only thing that bothered me was that Lena kept referring to all the bad guys as monsters..which they were, it just got old after awhile and I wanted her to call them by there real names. I don't know why that bothered me so much, but it did.

 While this book does work well as a stand alone, I really recommend reading Knightfall because so much of the world building was done there. I have to admit that I can't wait to see where this series goes, and who the next book will be about.



Curran Crush Meter: Medium
Martini Sigh Meter: Low (Orion is too alpha for a lot of mushy lines, lol.) 
Rhiannon Kick Ass Heroine Meter: High 
Sizzle Meter: Medium 
Finn Sidekick Meter: High

Favorite Quotes: 
 Isn't this an Oscar moment," Jorn drawled as he pushed open the screen door. " You two going to smooch, or can we go and kick some mongrel ass now?"

With stares locked, she moaned and her hands tightened on his head. "Orion...." "Yeah?" His sandpaper voice seemed to cause her grip to tighten even more. "Fuck me. Now." Then, oh gods, did he ever."