Thursday, May 31, 2012

The Fireman Who Loved Me by Jennifer Bernard

   Title: The Fireman Who Loved Me 
Author: Jennifer Bernard 
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Series: The Bachelor Fireman of San Gabriel #1
Publisher: Avon 
Number of Pages: 384
Source: Edelweiss

 





 Captain Brody has been badly burned by his ex-wife. When he orders Ryan, his star fireman, to participate in a bachelor auction, little does he know he’s the one who will lose his heart. Melissa McGuire is a brainy local news producer trying to get her career back on track. She can’t believe she’s being set up by her grandmother, who bid on a date with a fireman at the auction. She prefers the artsy type, not the tough, commanding , though clearly attractive, fire chief. And yet, they can’t resist each other, especially once her ambitious news anchor assigns her the “Thanksgiving with the Firefighters” news special. Add in her grandmother’s matchmaking and the combined efforts of Captain Brody’s crew…can Brody help being the first bachelor to succumb to love, and the crazy rollercoaster ride of the Curse? (goodreads)


I don't read a lot of contemporary romance, but when I saw the buzz about this series last year on twitter when it was announced, I kept my eye out for it. Who could resist fireman whose station house was supposedly cursed, and that is why most of the fireman who worked there were single? Not me, that's for sure. So when it was available at Edelweiss, I jumped at it.


The first half of this book was great. I really liked the heroine Melissa. She gave Captain Brody a lot of crap, and I liked how she didn't immediately fall for him. Captain Brody was equally great. He was alpha without being alpha if that makes sense. I liked how he couldn't get Melissa out of his mind, even though he tried. The secondary characters were a lot of fun. You had Melissa's match making grandma, Nelly who was hilarious in her attempt to make sure Melissa was happy and had a man of her own. There was also Ella Joy, Melissa's co-worker who was delightful to hate. The fireman under Captain Brody were wonderfully hot & funny.

However, for me everything fell apart in the last half of the book. Everything was so predictable. I read this on my kindle, and at 60% in Melissa and Capt. Brody had still only been on one official date. I found myself getting annoyed that they were together more often. Sure, I loved all of the secondary characters but there were so many different pov's coming into play that I found myself wanting Melissa's voice to be heard more. When Melissa and Brody finally got their act together I loved it. They had chemistry, and were just plain fun as a couple. After only two or so chapters of being together the typical we can't be together because of X happened. Characters were introduced that I felt really served no purpose except to cause the we can't be together part of the book.  This annoyed me, because I felt like it just made everything that happened after these characters were introduce super predictable. 

Characters whom I loved in the first half, started bugging me. I just wanted Melissa and Brody to be together more, and everyone else kept getting in the way. I thought that the part that allowed the two to get together was a bit unbelievable, and while it did cause me to tear up a bit, was frustrated by it at the same time.

Even though the second half of the book really disappointed me, I  will be reading the second book because I requested at the same time I did this one and because I really liked Ryan, the character who will be in the next book. I can't wait to see him grow and mature. Even though this book wasn't for me, I think fans of contemporary romance will probably enjoy this one. It's a fast read, and perfect for the summer when you want something light to read.



Curran Crush Meter: Medium 
Barrons Hero Hotness Meter: Medium 
Rhiannon Kick Ass Heroine Meter: Low 
Finn Sidekick Meter: Medium 
Sizzle Meter: Medium