Thursday, April 12, 2012

Review: Lover Reborn by JR Ward


Title: Lover Reborn 
Author: J.R. Ward
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Series: Black Dagger Brotherhood #10 
Publisher: NAL 
Source: My Copy







Ever since the death of his shellan, Tohrment is a heartbroken shadow of the vampire leader he once was. Brought back to the Brotherhood by a self-serving fallen angel, he fights again with ruthless vengeance- and is unprepared for a new tragedy. Seeing his beloved in dreams—trapped in a cold, desolate netherworld—he turns to the angel to save his former mate, only to despair at the path he himself must take to set her free. As war with the lessers rages, and a new clan of vampires vies for the Blind King’s throne, Tohr struggles between an unforgettable past, and a future that he doesn’t know he can live with… but can’t seem to turn away from. (goodreads)


I don't know what it is about these vampires that leaves me wanting more. I loved Tohr, felt sorry for him, was pissed at him and then repeated those feelings throughout the book. I loved this side stories in this one. I loved seeing more of Qhuay, (Qhuinn/Blay) but most of all I loved Lassister. I can't wait for that angel to get his own book.

One of the things that constantly amazes me about Ward's writing is how it is filled with slang and sentences that  would make any other book a dnf for me, but I just shake my head and plug along with her. Some examples: 

"Man, John was so pissed off, you could have fried an egg on his forehead." 

"You're very strong." Man, that did his ego good. Matter of fact, she hit him with anything like that again, he was going to feel like he could bench press a city bus. With a jet plane parked on its roof.

"You know what they're like. Any one of them crosses paths with that shithead and they'll peel him like a grape. Right now that male's got more targets on the back of his ass than a shooting range. 

But then she has lines like this that make me sigh: 

"Text me when you want to see me again, he signed. I'm giving you your space, but know this: I will wait forever for you."

She cried forever. He would have held her even longer than that. 

You know as well as I do how much you haven't done, " the angel said softly. "Blood, sweat and tears, that's what it's going to take." 

My beautiful, strong...worthy daughter."

This book was one of my favorites of the series. Tohr was everything an Alpha male should be: Moody, full of shit, and an ego the size of Texas, and yet he made you fall in love with him despite all of that. The only thing I wish was that No'one would have more of her own scenes. The problem with these books is that the secondary characters are so beloved that it's hard for one or both of the main couples in these books to sometimes fall to the wayside to make room for someone else's story. I also loved the Band of Bastards. They are so much better then the stupid lessers. I never saw how the lessers were much of a threat to the boys. The Bastards though, are great because they are a real threat.  I hate to admit this, but I kind of want Throe and Xcor to have their own books.  Despite the the cheesy lines and wanting more of No'One to have more of a role in the book this was such a fun read and I can't wait for Qhuay's book next year!!! 



Curran Crush Meter: High 
Barrons Hero Hotness Meter: High 
Martini Sigh Meter: High 
Rhiannon Kick Ass Heroine Meter: Low
Finn/Swopes Sidekick Meter: Off the Charts 
Desmond Lickable Meter: High 
Swopes/Cookie Lol Meter: High 
John Matthew Adorableness Meter: High