Saturday, April 28, 2012

Knightfall by Berinn Rae



Title: Knightfall
 Author: Berinn Rae 
 Genre: Paranormal Romance 
Series: Guardian of the Seven Seals #1 
Publisher: Crescent Moon





 

A woman believed to be the harbinger of Armageddon.
The immortal knight assigned to kill her.Alaskan bush pilot Kerra Cain lives a relatively normal life. That is, until a fallen angel reveals his plans to use Kerra to trigger the Apocalypse. To escape, she must place her trust in the arms of Gareth, a dangerously sexy, enigmatic man who has haunted her dreams for years.Believing his mission unjust and in search of answers, Gareth whisks Kerra away to a protected island fortress where the Guardians of the Seven Seals train, all the while battling their growing attraction. When one of the Seals is kidnapped, Kerra must embrace a heritage long denied her if they are to rescue the Seal and save the world from Armageddon. (goodreads)


I am not one to gush over covers, but don't you just love the abs on the guy on the cover? Oh la la!! It's also pretty close to how I pictured the hero of the story, Gareth to look like. The cover must have seeped into my sub conscious while reading!  Gareth is one alpha male and helped me break the slow reading phase I was into this year. I loved how he was tough as nails, yet when it came to Kerra we saw a different, protective side of him that shocked even those closet to him. Like all alpha males, he had a little bit of an attitude and felt in order to protect Kerra he didn't give her a lot of information. This made me want to shake him-however I could see where he was coming from even if I didn't agree with him. 


Kerra was equally as tough if not tougher then Gareth was, but one of the more likable heroines I've come across in awhile. She's always been different and could read people's auras. It told her when people were lying, upset or happy. It's one of the reasons she's ended up Alaska, where there aren't as many people. I liked the fact that she was a bush pilot and her weapon of choice was a gun.  When Gareth starts hiding information from her thinking he's protecting her, I love how she calls it on him. The two work really well together as a team fighting those who want to use Kerra for evil purposes. Is it wrong that I fell for one of the bad guys right hand men, a hell hound and another minion on the side of evil? Yes, I know I have some serious book boyfriend issues.  Once Gareth comes to his senses he realizes that the only way to protect Kerra is to take her to the island where the other guardians like him live. I liked how not everyone was accepting of Kerra and when she doesn't see Gareth all the time she gets upset, but doesn't break down and have a woe is me session that lasts for pages, lol. 

 The one  thing that really confused me was that throughout the book we don't know who her father is, it's just alluded that he is some one powerful. Then all of a sudden everyone is calling him by name. I felt like I missed something,  but I think that had more to do with editing then anything. Speaking of editing, this is billed as a paranormal romance, but to me the only thing that made it that was the epilogue. Everything else screamed Urban Fantasy to me. There was romance in the book, but not as much as I expected with it being labeled a Paranormal Romance.  In fact the ending really surprised me, because I was expecting an Urban Fantasy type ending, not a Paranormal Romance ending, if that makes sense.


 Despite the shock I got at the ending I really enjoyed this book and can't wait to read book two, Hellhound. 

Curran Crush Meter: High 
Barrons Hero Hotness Meter: High 
Rhiannon Kick Ass Heroine Meter: High 
Martini Sigh Meter: Medium 
Sizzle Meter: Medium