Welcome to Tuesday Chatter! I am thinking of doing a post once a month on third Tuesday of each month about random things I've been wondering about. :) This months Tuesday Chatter is about Annoying Book Trends. I am such a quirky reader. There are some book trends that I love, but some just annoy the crap out of me. For instance, I was reading a Young Adult book where the heroine was addicted to coffee, rude to adults and was chosen to save the world. Sound familiar? It had every single Young adult trend out there in it, and bored me silly. Here are some other traits that bore me now:
- Urban Fantasy Heroines with Katana Swords. I thought it was cool when Merit from The Chicagoland Vampire Series by Chloe Neill had one, but now it seems that is the only weapon that works to kill demons, vampires, fae, and every other supernatural creature out there. Why not have the heroine have another type of weapon?
- Mediums who can see ghosts. What happened to just having a ghost romance? Why must the heroine be a medium? (the exception to this trend is the Charley Davidson series by Darynda Jones)
- Romances where the couple doesn't get together until the last 50 pages. How is this a romance?
- Romances where the heroine knows the love interest from high school. It seems in half of the contemporary romances I've seen lately the love interest has been a former high school flame. How often does this really happen?
These trends bothered me so much that I wondered if I was the only one who was weird about being tired of trends of books, so I asked my twitter peeps what trends they were tired of in books. These were the answers:
- 23 year-old virgin heroines. Ugh. I am so of them.
- heroines who are unhappy with their weight. #bleh. I want one who is 5-15 lbs over her ideal weight & happy with it
- girls that are way to old to be virgins. Come now...in this day and age? Pshhhh oh and women that look completely unattainable. You dont have to be a runway model to kick ass.
- Love triangles can get a little old.
- Talking about the penchent to forgive every little thing another character does (I'm not ok if you try to kill me LOL)
- Other than the standard I hate love triangles (any genre)
- absent parents (YA)
- and emo/angsty heroes who are all like I DON'T DESERVE YOU.
- Girl w/a guy for a BFF, totally oblivious that the guy wants them, takes the whole book before she figures it out. UGH
What book trends annoy you?