Saturday, March 24, 2012

Review: Lover Unleashed by J.R. Ward

  

Title: Lover Unleashed
Author: J.R. Ward
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Series: Black Dagger Brotherhood #9
Publisher: NAL
Number of Pages: 489
Source: My copy




   Payne, twin sister of Vishous, is cut from the same dark, warrior cloth as her brother: A fighter by nature, and a maverick when it comes to the traditional role of Chosen females, there is no place for her on the Far Side… and no role for her on the front lines of the war, either. When she suffers a paralyzing injury, human surgeon Dr. Manuel Manello is called in to treat her as only he can- and he soon gets sucked into her dangerous, secret world. Although he never before believed in things that go bump in the night- like vampires- he finds himself more than willing to be seduced by the powerful female who marks both his body and his soul. As the two find so much more than an erotic connection, the human and vampire worlds collide … just as a centuries old score catches up with Payne and puts both her love and her life in deadly jeopardy. (goodreads)


I have to say that I'm not sure how it took me so long to finally read this book. I've had it since it came out, but it kind of got lost in my tbr pile. I dug it out when I realized that the next book,  Lover Reborn was coming out next week on 3/27/12.

I'm not sure what it is about this series that keeps me coming back for more. It really is like book crack.  The one big gripe I have with this book is the same that everyone else has had and that was that there wasn't more of the main couple, Manny and Payne in this book?  Payne is actually one of my favorite heroines. She wasn't afraid to stand up to her brother V, or anyone else, yet showed the right amount of respect to Wrath when it came to his stupid decision regarding her and Manny.

 I don't understand why this book wasn't from the outset about V and have Manny and Payne be a side couple, which they clearly were in this book. I found myself getting frustrated that there weren't more of these two weren't more apart of the story. As soon as I would get into a scene with them it would change to someone elses story. The same goes for the others featured in the book-namely Qhuay. (Blay/Qhuinn) I really enjoyed the brothers from the old country causing havoc, and it will be interesting to see the role the play in the upcoming books. They were much more fun then the cheesy lessers.

This series is still one of my favorites, even if the lines are a bit cheesy & kept repeating themselves (I lost track of how many times someone was a Women of Worth.") and the apple product placements were just as bad as Sherrilyn Kenyons last Dark Hunter book were, I know I won't stop reading JR Ward anytime soon. I think if she'd publish her grocery lists I'd buy them. She's just that good. :) 


Curran Crush Meter: High 
Barrons Hero Hotness Meter: High 
Rhiannon Kick Heroine Ass Meter: High 
Martini Sigh Meter: High 
Sizzle Meter: High 
Desmond Lickable Meter: Medium 
Finn/Swopes Sidekick Meter: High