Thursday, December 22, 2011

Review: Karma Girl Christmas by Jennifer Estep




 Title: A Karma Girl Christmas 
Author: Jennifer Estep 
Series: Bigtime #3.5 
Genre: Paranormal Romance 
Number of Pages: E book 
Publisher: Self Published
Source: Sent to me from the author










 
It's Christmas time in Bigtime, New York, but society reporter Carmen Cole isn't in the mood to celebrate since her husband, Sam, has to go on a business trip and might not make it home for the holiday. But Carmen has plenty to keep her busy, since she moonlights as Karma Girl, a member of the Fearless Five superhero team. On Christmas Eve, Carmen, as Karma Girl, is assigned to guard toys, clothes, food, and more that are intended for needy children and their families. But an ubervillain also has his eye on the toys and plans to steal and then sell them to the highest bidder. Carmen will have to use all her empathic powers just to stay alive, not to mention make sure Christmas is a happy one for all the kids who are counting on her. It's all in a night's work for a superhero .. 



Even though this book takes place after book three in the Bigtime series, it works well as a stand alone book. I've only read book one, and had no trouble following what happened and nothing seemed to really spoil the other two books.  I just loved this short story.  It's perfect for the holiday season. I liked it because while it was short-I had it read in under an hour it had all the elements a novella should have: action, character development and lots of fun! 


Carmen is one of my favorite heroines.  I like how she is still coming to terms with her superpowers, but doesn't let them overwhelm her. When she needs to use them, she does, but is tough without being too tough.  I really like her relationship with Striker, and I have to admit while I liked Carmen being on her own, I wish he had been in this novella a bit more.  The villains where just fun. I liked how they weren't you typical ubervillians and how everyone came to Carmens aide at the end when she needed help. If you are looking for a holiday read, then this is a must!