Friday, November 11, 2011

  

Title: Divergent 
Author: Veronica Roth 
Genre: Young Adult, Dystopian 
Series: Divergent #1 
Number of Pages: 489 
Publisher: HarperCollins 













Beatrice "Tris" Prior has reached the fateful age of sixteen, the stage at which teenagers in Veronica Roth's dystopian Chicago must select which of five factions to join for life. Each faction represents a virtue: Candor, Abnegation, Dauntless, Amity, and Erudite. To the surprise of herself and her selfless Abnegation family, she chooses Dauntless, the path of courage. Her choice exposes her to the demanding, violent initiation rites of this group, but it also threatens to expose a personal secret that could place in mortal danger. Veronica Roth's young adult Divergent trilogy launches with a captivating adventure about love and loyalty playing out under most extreme circumstances.


This book was amazeballs! Once I started reading it I could not stop. I think I had it read in 4 hours. This makes the Hunger Games seem like drivel. It's a hard book to review without spoiling, but I'll do my best.

Beatrice lives  in  Abnegation sector-where people put others before themselves. It's here were politicians and other political leaders come from. When she chooses Dauntless-a sector where courage is valued among all else, she's unprepared for what it really means. 


Beatrice changes her name to Tris to fit into her new surroundings, and I've got to say as she was going through each challenge I felt like I was experiencing them with her. She's attracted to Four, the trainer of the new recruits to Dauntless but isn't quite sure what to do about him. I loved the mystery surrounding Four. He was just a great love interest. What I can say-he's cougar worthy, lol. Divergent just isn't a teen romance though. It's about discovering who you are, finding out what you are capable of and that not everything is what it seems. Courage means something different to everyone and I loved finding out what it meant to Tris. 


The mystery surrounding what it meant to be Dauntless and how it interacted with the other sectors kept me turning pages. I just knew that another sector was up to know good, and I loved how there were so many twists and turns to keep me guessing. Divergent is one of the best Dystopian books I've read in a long time. I can't wait for book two, Insurgent to come out!