Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Review: SIlver Shark by Ilona Andrews



Title: Silver Shark 
 Author: Ilona Andrews 
Genre: Sci Fi Romance
Series: Kinsmen #2 
Publisher: Samhain
Number of Pages: EBOOK
Source: Sent to me by the author to read




 

Born on a planet locked in a long war, Claire is a psycher, a woman with the ability to attack minds and infiltrate a biological computer network where psychers battle to the death. But when the war abruptly ends, Claire must hide her psycher's ability to survive. She is deported to a new planet, a vivid beautiful place, where she meets Venturo Escana, a powerful psycher, whose presence overwhelms both her mind and her body. She thought she had left war and death behind, but now she must fight for her new life and this battle might just cost her everything... (goodreads)




I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed this novella. I read book one (review to come) right before this one because my need to read series books in order wouldn't let me do otherwise, however, this book works well as a stand alone. The characters from the first book make an appearance in the book, but not so much that they overpower the storyline being told in this novella, and no knowledge of the first novella is needed to appreciate their appearance.


Claire was one of my favorite kinds of heroine. She was strong, independent and while she wouldn't let anything get in the way of what she wanted, she remembered those who had helped her family out when times were hard. What I liked best about this novella was I felt like I was going through the adjustments to the new planet like Claire was.I really felt for her having to deal with emotions and sense that were totally foreign to her. Venturo was a great love interest, but honestly, I wanted more of him and just a little bit more romance.


One of the fears I always have with starting a sci fi romance is that I'll be overwhelmed with terms and technology that will bore me-a handicap that comes from having a father who reads hard core science fiction books. However, I worried for nothing because everything was explained really well, and when Claire went on the Bionet (think matrix) I felt like I was right there with her going after the bad guys and trying to correct a wrong.


All in all this was a fun story and I had it read in one sitting.  I want to say more about how much I loved the storyline-but am afraid I'll give too much away, I'll just say if you are looking for something new to try, then give this series a try. You won't regret it. This is the third sci fi romance I've read this month, and  it looks like I have another genre to add to my list of genres that I read. :)



Curran Crush Meter: Medium 
Martini Sigh Meter: Medium 
Rhiannon Kick Ass Heroine Meter: Medium 
Ethan/Merit Sizzle Meter: Medium 
Barrons Hero Hotness Meter: Medium 
Finn Sidekick Meter: Medium