Sunday, September 18, 2011

ARC Review: Spiders Revenge by Jennifer Estep




Title: Spiders Revenge
Author: Jennifer Estep
Genre: Urban Fantasy 
Series: Elemental Assassin #5
Number of Pages: 400 
Publisher: Pocket
Source: Sent to me by the author
Release Date: Sept 27, 2011








  Old habits die hard. And I plan on mur­der­ing some­one before the night is through.Killing used to be my reg­u­lar gig, after all. Gin Blanco, aka the Spi­der, assassin-for-hire. And I was very good at it. Now, I’m ready to make the one hit that truly mat­ters: Mab Mon­roe, the dan­ger­ous Fire ele­men­tal who mur­dered my fam­ily when I was thir­teen. Oh, I don’t think the mis­sion will be easy, but turns out it’s a bit more prob­lem­atic than expected. The bitch knows I’m com­ing for her. So now I’m up against the army of lethal bounty hunters she hired to track me down. She also put a price on my baby sister’s head. Keep­ing Bria safe is my first pri­or­ity. Tak­ing Mab out is a close sec­ond. Good thing I’ve got my pow­er­ful Stone and Ice magic — and my irre­sistible lover Owen Grayson — to watch my back. This bat­tle has been years in the mak­ing, and there’s a chance I won’t sur­vive. But if I’m going down, then Mab’s com­ing with me...no mat­ter what I have to do to make that happen (goodreads)




Warning: Gush Fest ahead. This series just keeps getting better and better. Gin is one kick ass heroine!  Spiders Revenge is everything you want an Urban Fantasy to be.  It has action, great characters, evil villains whose eyes you just want to punch out, and a heroine you want to see have justice done to. Spiders Revenge is Book 5 in the Elemental Assassin series, and does not work as a stand alone. I highly recommend reading the first four before diving into this one.  With any series, it's hard to review this without giving any spoilers away, so I'll do my best not to do it.

Gin is at her best in this book. She's tough, but has finally realized that there are those who care about her and has to put them first-something she hasn't had to do before. 

All of the secondary characters from past books make an appearance in this one, and I loved that! There's nothing better then when you are reading along and a familiar face comes along out of the blue, but working right into the story line.  My favorites returned-Finn, Roslynn, Xavier, Bria, Jo Jo, Sophia & Owen.

Finn is as adorable as ever, and I love that he has a love interest. I'd make chickory coffee for my favorite sidekick any day of the week. My only problem was that I wanted more of him! I'd be happy with a whole book of just him.   Owen is just well, perfect. He gives Gin the space she needs but there when she needs him to be.  I can't wait to learn more about him and his sister, Eva.  Team Owen forever!  We learn a lot more about the past of Sophia and Jo Jo-which choked me up a bit. Roslynn & Xavier didn't make a lot of appearances, but I loved that they did show up when Gin needed them. There were also a few other characters that showed up as well for a bit, and it just made me sigh because as I said before, I love it when past minor characters aren't forgotten. There are also a few new secondary characters as well that make the story that much better. 


One of the best villains ever in an Urban Fantasy series-Mab Monroe makes a really big appearance in this book. I just cringed every time she worked her evil ways in her book. Her actions were unpredictable, and I loved that. The battle between Mab and Gin surprised me, and I was a hot mess of every emotion you could name at the end of this book.  Spiders Revenge has one of the best last lines ever. I won't tell you what is, because I was surprised by it, and don't want to ruin it! This series is a must read and Jennifer Estep is now an auto buy author for me. 

Come back tomorrow when Jennifer Estep visits and talks about her favorite villains! 



Curran Crush Meter: High 
Barrons Hero Hotness Meter: High 
Marini Sigh Meter: High 
Finn Sidekick Meter: High-Off the charts! (This series is where this meter got it's name!) 
Ethan/Merit Sizzle Meter: High 
Double Cross Curse Meter: Medium (Gin got a little  cursing for some dumb moves, and Finn as well)